Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Michael O. Bourne, 09/1996
Homewood
Inventory No.: B-4
Date Listed: 11/11/1971
Location: N. Charles Street & 34th Street, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1801-1803
NHL Date: 11/11/1971
Description: Homewood is a 5-part composition in brick with stone trim, on a high basement. The large, 6-room, central section is 1 1/2 stories and is connected by one-story hyphens to two flanking wings. The roof is hipped and both north and south porticos abut into the main roof as a pedimented gable. Each side of the roof of the main block has two round-head dormers with a semicircular traceried light over three lights. The hip roof has four interior chimneys, and a square cupola with a pyramidal roof rises from the very center. The north and south facades both have tetrastyle porticos; the one on the south (the principal facade) is pedimented and has a plastered bas relief Adamesque swag-and-garland decoration in the tympanum surrounding a shield-shaped window. The south entrance door is topped by a semicircular fanlight with delicate tracery, surrounded by fluted pilasters and entablature; the north side door has a Federal feature--a large, elaborately traceried semicircular fanlight. The north side is not as elaborate as the south side (except for the fanlight), especially in the use of a flat portico with pediment mounted on the roof. This pediment holds a traceried fanlight in the tympanum. The base, steps, and columns appear to be recent. The south facade portico is flanked by pairs of 9/9 sash windows, topped by flared stone lintels with keystones. Above each lintel is a stone panel. On the north facade, these four windows are 12/12 sash with lintels, but no panels. The south side of each gable-roofed hyphen, three bays wide, has a doorway with semicircular fanlight and arched stone lintel, and is flanked by a Palladian-style window to each side, capped with brick arches. The north side of each hyphen has two 6/6 sash windows. The hip-roofed dependencies are two bays wide each, with a single large chimney in the center of each. Windows on the dependencies are 9/9 sash with stone flared lintels with keystones, surmounted by stone panels on the south facade. Windows on the main block and dependencies have louvered shutters. The main interior spaces have dadoes, chair rails, architraves, and mantels all profusely carved in Adamesque fashion. Significance: Charles Carroll, Jr., son of Charles Carroll of Carrollton (the Signer), built this sophisticated Federal country house between 1801 and 1803. The land had been presented to the son by the father upon the son's marriage to Harriet Chew of Philadelphia. The younger Carroll had directed the construction of this monument to his own innate good taste, while his father footed the bills amounting to $30,000 in excess of the $10,000 estimate. In 1824, Charles Carroll of Carrollton bought the house from his self-indulgent, recalcitrant son whose wife had, by that time, and with her father-in-law's blessing, left him and returned to Philadelphia. The elder Carroll managed this "most improvident waste" until his son died in 1825. The property was sold to the Wyman family in 1839, and operated as the Country School for Boys (now Gilman School) from 1897 to 1902. The entire tract was reassembled in 1902, and became the Johns Hopkins University campus.
Return to the National Register Search page