Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: MHT File Photo, Undated Photo
St. Giles
Inventory No.: WI-30
Date Listed: 12/20/1982
Location: 7934 Quantico Road (MD 347), Hebron, Wicomico County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1811-1818
Description: St. Giles is a 2 1/2 story, five bay long, frame Federal period farmhouse with 20th century hyphen and wing. The original part of the house is five bays wide and two bays deep, measuring 20'-3" x 40'-3". The entire structure is covered with beaded weatherboard, which is generally original. A 20th century porch occupies the central bay of the principal (south) facade. Its design is in keeping with the period of the building. The entry has a six panel door with four pane transom above, with beaded trim and ogee backband. Flanking the door and porch are two windows on each side with 9/6 sash, original louvered shutters and the same trim as on the door. On the second story all five bays have 6/6 sash windows with louvered shutters, but the shutters are later replacements. The cornice is a typical box cornice of the period with ogee crown and cove bed moldings. Three 20th century gable-roofed dormers pierce the gable roof, which is covered with hand split shakes. The east gable has two windows on each story flanking the exterior brick chimney. The third-story windows are original and have 4/2 sash. Original windows on the first and second stories remain on the west gable, north of the chimney. The 1 1/2 story hyphen abuts the gable, flush with the north side of the chimney. Like the older part of the house, the three-bay hyphen and two-bay wing are built on brick foundation and are covered with beaded siding. The trim has been carefully copied from the original. With its ridge set at right angles to the remainder of the house, the wing is two bays wide and 2 1/2 stories tall. The interior is slightly asymmetrical, with the living room being slightly larger than the library. Centered on the east wall, the fireplace with large finely detailed Federal mantel, dominates the living room. It is flanked by the two windows of the gable. The north and south walls are identical, with two windows symmetrically placed on the wall. Original yellow pine floors have remained intact, as have baseboards, chair rail, cornice and all of the window and door trim. The doors throughout have six recessed panels with applied molding. The open-string stair ascends on the west side of the hall adjacent to the library. The library is the smaller of the two principal rooms. With the exception of fenestration and a smaller size mantel, the trim is the same as the living room. West of the library, down two steps, is the dining room, added around 1940. The trim in this room is stock trim for the period. One step lower is the kitchen wing. Most of the first story of the wing was remodeled in 1978. Returning to the old part of the house, on the second story, above the living room, the master bedroom retains all original flooring and trim, although simpler than below. The library chamber or guest bedroom is almost identical to the master bedroom. Also on the property are several outbuildings, including a well house and quarter of undetermined date. The wood house, tenant house, barn, garage, and pool house all appear to have been constructed or remodeled in the 20th century. The landscaped grounds include a garden which is reputed to retain its original early-19th century layout. Significance: St. Giles achieves significance for its architecture, as a well-preserved Eastern Shore farmhouse of the Federal period. Few early-19th century buildings remain in Wicomico County; among these, St. Giles stands out for the quality of its workmanship and the extent of its preservation. Its interior detailing remains largely intact, and displays a degree of sophistication which is unusual in such a rural context. Moreover, its five-bay width renders St. Giles unusual in the context of Wicomico County's surviving early-19th century dwellings, most of which are only three bays wide. St. Giles' original fabric was carefully protected in the c. 1940 alteration; the additions to the house made at that time are of interest in their illustration of the Colonial aesthetic of the Williamsburg era.
Return to the National Register Search page