Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Margaret W. Cook, 01/1977
Compton Bassett
Inventory No.: PG:79-10
Date Listed: 3/3/1983
Location: 16508 Marlboro Pike (MD 725), Upper Marlboro, Prince Georges County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: after 1783
Description: Compton Bassett is a two-story brick Georgian house, covered with cream-colored stucco, on a high basement of gray stucco. A two-story wing extends to the north. Interior chimneys rise from the north and south slopes of the hip roof. The five-bay east facade, overlooking the Patuxent River, has a slightly projecting pavilion in the center, flanked on either side by two 9/9 sash windows on either floor. The main entrance, in the center bay, consists of a six-panel door with a handsome Georgian surround with reeded and fluted pilasters and a triangular broken pediment. Above the door is a simple but delicate five-pane fanlight. The whole first floor of the pavilion is framed with a simple, rectangular, flat-roofed porch. Within the square posts of the porch, closely flanking the doorway, are two narrow 10-light windows. On the second floor of the pavilion is a 15-light window capped with a five-pane fanlight, and flanked by 8-light windows. This tripartite window configuration closely resembles a Palladian window, but the flanking windows are a bit far from the center window. The pavilion is capped with a pediment containing a small lunette window, identical to the two five-pane fanlights below. The dentil cornice surrounding the roofline is continued on the pediment and cornice returns. The west facade of the house is similar to the east, with a few notable exceptions. The central portion is flush with the wall and lacks a pediment. The entrance is also a six-paneled door with a fanlight, but the door surround is much simpler: two pilasters topped with a n architrave in semicircular form. There are louvered shutters on all the west windows, which are 9/9 sash as on the east facade. The second floor center bay has a tripartite window much like the east facade, but all sections of this window have louvered shutters, including the fanlight. The south facade has a 9/9 sash window at each floor level. These are placed off-center, closer to the east side of the building. A gable-roofed dormer with 6/6 sash window is centered on this slope of the hip roof. The north side of the building is covered by the two-story wing, added in 1928. The floor plan of the main block consists of a center hall flanked by two rooms on each side. The open string stair, with delicately carved balusters, is at the northwest end of the hall. Each room has a fireplace centered on its interior wall. There is also a very large fireplace in the old kitchen in the cellar. The interior features delicately carved moldings, particularly on cornices, door surrounds, and mantels. Random-width floorboards and interior paneled window shutters are original. Remaining dependencies include a chapel to the southeast, a meathouse to the southwest, and a dairy to the northwest. A family burial ground is located west of the mansion. Significance: Compton Bassett is a fine example of the symmetrical Georgian house build in Prince George's County. The symmetrical three-part facade, Palladian motif in the first and second stories of the pavilion, symmetrical site plan of house and dependencies, as well as the well-executed interior woodwork, are all characteristic of Georgian architecture in the second half of the 18th century. The house and its setting have remained largely untouched.

 

Return to the National Register Search page