Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Michael O. Bourne, 11/1970
All Saints' Church
Inventory No.: T-83
Date Listed: 5/27/1983
Location: 10806 Longwoods Road (MD 662), Easton, Talbot County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1901
Architect/Builder: Architect, Henry M. Congdon
Description: All Saints’ Church is a small rectangular frame church constructed in 1900-1901. It is clad in board-and-batten siding, and its nave is five bays long with a steeply-pitched gable roof and stickwork in the gables. The lower portion of each wall is sheathed in horizontal clapboard. On the south facade, a gabled entrance porch with stickwork detailing occupies the westernmost bay, and lancet windows define the remaining four bays. A three-stage bell tower with a shingled spire rises adjacent to the westernmost bay of the north facade. The first stage is sheathed in horizontal clapboard with one lancet window per side. The second stage is sheathed in board-and-batten siding and holds paired lancet windows on each side. The third stage, also board-and-batten, holds two large louvered Gothic-arched openings per side. The roof of the tower is pyramidal with flared eaves. A two bay wide apse projects from the east gable, and holds a tripartite stained-glass lancet window. A small gabled wing extends to the north of the apse. The west gable of the nave is pierced by two lancet windows below a small circular window. The interior retains its original woodwork, including decorative roof trusses and framing members, and vertical-board wainscoting. Significance: Designed by New York architect, Henry Martyn Congdon, All Saints Church was erected in 1900-1901 on the same site as its predecessor, also designed by Congdon, which burned on December 31, 1899. With construction costs financed by the prominent Goldsborough family few expenses were spared on erecting a replacement church. Following the popular asymmetrical format and sheathed with a combination of horizontal weatherboards and board-and-batten siding, the rectangular sanctuary is accompanied by a massive tower and squat broach spire, an enclosed porch entry, a chancel, and a sacristy. Imported stained glass windows from Munich, Germany along with decorative tile floors, a darkly stained exposed timber roof structure, and intricately carved church furniture were combined in an impressive execution for a country church. All Saints is one of two churches in Talbot County designed by Congdon, the other being Christ Church in St. Michaels. With its well-defined plan and sophisticated exterior and interior finishes, All Saints Church stands out in Talbot County as part of a small collection of architect-designed buildings erected in response to an international movement within the Episcopal Church, initiated in Cambridge, England and implemented in the United States by the New York Ecclesiological Society (1848-1855). As part of their efforts to enhance the Episcopal worship service during the early 19th century, the ecclesiologists promoted specific architectural formulas that would heighten the functional working and symbolic nature of city as well as rural churches.
Return to the National Register Search page