Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: V. Cesna, 01/1981
Anderson Chapel
Inventory No.: G-IV-C-009
Other Name(s): St. Paul's Episcopal Chapel
Date Listed: 6/7/1984
Location: Swanton Hill Road & Pine Hill Road , Swanton, Garrett County
Category: Structure
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1882
Description: Anderson Chapel, also referred to as St. Paul's Chapel, stands on a slight rise on a corner lot and is compatible in scale to the majority of the other buildings in the small town of Swanton, generally one-story residences. It is a late-19th century frame, one-story, gable-roofed church with a southwest gable end facade. It rests on a coursed, roughly squared stone foundation with a slanted board watertable and is sheathed with whitewashed board-and-batten siding. The Chapel is rectangular in form and plan with the exception of a small gable-roofed wing which extends from the rear of the northwest side. There is a door with four panels on the southwest side of the wing and a 2/2 sash window on the northeast side. The southwest entrance, reached by a flight of six wooden steps with wooden railing, has a double doorway with four vertically sheathed panels. Atop the door is a large lancet window with double lancet tracery. Over the entrance and virtually enveloping the lancet window is a gable-roofed hood supported by Stick Style braces and fronted by a chamfered tie beam with decorative king post. On each of the long facades are four narrow lancet sash windows with double lancet tracery in the upper sash and four panes in the lower sash. A rose window with eight alternating blue and red etched glass panes pierces the northeast end wall. The interior plan consists of a single room with a raised platform at the altar end. The walls are paneled with narrow vertical wainscot and a chair rail. The simple belfry which once rose at the southwest end of the roof was removed after 1939 as were the interior furnishings. Significance: The Anderson Chapel in Swanton is significant as one of only two churches in Garrett County built in the board-and-batten style. This style, popularized by the architect Richard Upjohn and others, was an important facet of the Gothic Revival as developed in the United States during the 19th century. Its use was particularly appropriate in Garrett County, where lumber operations and sawmills were an important local industry. Board-and-batten construction and other characteristic Gothic features distinguish the Anderson Chapel among the late-19th century churches of Garrett County. Other frame churches in the county are generally plainer and more traditional with few concessions to architectural style. Complete Gothic detailing on the Anderson Chapel, including traceried lancet and rose windows, a delicate hood over the entrance, and board-and-batten siding, constitutes a degree of architectural sophistication which is unusual in rural Garrett County.
Return to the National Register Search page