Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Paul Baker Touart, 02/1985
Brentwood Farm
Inventory No.: S-30
Other Name(s): Smiths Adventure, Adams Purchase
Date Listed: 9/4/1986
Location: Allen Road , Loretto, Somerset County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1738; 1916
Description: Brentwood Farm house, reputedly erected in 1738, is a two-story three-bay Flemish bond brick house, enlarged by a well-designed Shingle-style/Colonial Revival addition in 1916. At the same time, a number of changes were included in a renovation of the old brick house. Despite the alteration to the brick house, the original appearance and the integrity of the early dwelling were largely preserved. The old three-room plan house is supported by a Flemish bond brick foundation which is distinguished by a one-brick-wide watertable. The steeply pitched wood shingle roof has been reworked with extended eaves and short returns on the gable ends. The principal (east) elevation of the brick house is a symmetrical three bay facade with a center entrance marked by a gabled porch stoop with an arched ceiling. The front eight-panel door is an early-20th century replacement. Located above the door is a finely crafted ornamental shell carving. To each side of the door is a 9/9 sash window with a scored stucco Jack arch. The window surrounds as well as the sash have been reworked. A three-course beltcourse divides the first floor from the second floor. Three evenly spaced windows light the second floor, and the lower part of each jack arch is exposed, while the top half is covered by the rebuilt cornice. Accompanying the house are two early-20th century frame buildings that stand immediately adjacent to the house. Significance: The two-story brick house known as Brentwood is the earliest two-story brick house to survive in Somerset County. Brentwood displays a masterly combination of a second-quarter-18th century house and an imposing gambrel-roofed Shingle-Style addition. Despite the size of the addition, the early brick house stands out as the dominant architectural focus, while the addition was skillfully blended as a well-designed extension that provided space for a large dining room and a modern kitchen. The former frame service wing had been attached to the land side of the main house so the present front entrance was completely obscured. As a result, the land elevation of the house had been significantly compromised. During the 1916 renovation these mistakes were rectified, and the old kitchen was removed. The center doorway was restored as the principal entrance and the bay was enriched by a shell-carved transom sculpture. Although the interior of the old house was altered with the removal of some period woodwork, the superior 18th century woodwork in the study was preserved. The half-pilasters of the overmantel are similar to the fluted pilasters of "Bounds Lott" and "Williams Conquest," two other houses that were evidently finished at approximately the same time. The 1916 addition represents one of only two examples of the influence of the Shingle style in Somerset County.
Return to the National Register Search page