Historical markers have been a familiar sight on Maryland's roadways for more than half a century.
Launched in 1933, the roadside historical marker program has proven an effective way to draw
attention to the many events, people and places that have contributed to the richness of our
state and nation. The marker program is administered by the Maryland Historical Trust in cooperation
with the Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA). MHT reviews marker proposals, finalizes the
wording, and recommends general locations for placement. SHA funds purchase of new markers. SHA also
determines the best siting, installs and maintains the markers, and funds replacement markers.
Near Piney Grove, Maryland
Note: This website includes markers installed through the State of Maryland roadside historical marker program. It
does not include markers and plaques placed by the National Park Service, counties, municipalities, and private entities.
Please note that funding for new markers is currently unavailable.
Copyright © 2003-2021, Maryland Historical Trust
About the Historical Markers Web Site
administered by the Maryland State Highway Administration, supported data development for this project.