Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Nancy Kurtz, 08/1998
Loudon Park National Cemetery
Inventory No.: B-4597
Date Listed: 6/20/1996
Location: 3445 Frederick Avenue (MD 144), Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building,Object,Site,Structure
Period/Date of Construction: 1862-1938
Architect/Builder: Architect: Montgomery C. Meigs
Description: The Loudon Park National Cemetery forms part of the incorporated cemetery of Loudon Park. The main entrance is located in the center of the north side and is protected by double cast iron ornamental gates supported by cast iron posts with a 12' opening. To the east of the main entrance is the flagpole. The grounds are enclosed on the east and west by concrete walls surmounted by iron fencing, on the south by ornamental wrought iron fencing with sandstone slabs, and on the north by ornamental wrought iron fencing. The superintendent's lodge is located to the east of the main entrance. Significance: The Loudon Park National Cemetery is significant for its association with the Civil War; because its lodge represents a distinctive design by Quartermaster General Montgomery C. Meigs, who was acclaimed as a master architect of civil works projects for the Quartermaster Corps; and as an important component of the multiple property National Register of Historic Places submission of Civil War Era National Cemeteries. In 1861, a sanitary commission apointed to select a proper place adjacent to the city for the burial of deceased Civil War soldiers selected a portion of Loudon Park Cemetery, a private cemetery created out of James Carey's estate, "Loudon Farms." The lot became known as the government lot, and an army sergeant lived in a cottage nearby. The official date of the establishment of the national cemetery is 1862. The 1.16-acre lot was enlarged to 5.24 acres by the purchase in 1882 of several small lots adjacent to the original site, as well as another small parcel in 1903. Most of the original interments at Loudon Park were Union soldiers who died in the hospitals in Baltimore at Relay House, and Elkridge Landing. Approximately 200 remains from the Soldiers' Lot in Laurel Cemetery, a colored cemetery, were moved to Loudon Park in 1884 when Laurel Cemetery closed. While the records of Loudon Park do not show reinterments from Laurel Cemetery, the records to show about 1,000 interments, mostly colored, were made in the cemetery about that time. There are 35 Confederates interred in this national cemetery (31 soldiers and 4 civilians) who died while held by the Union as prisoners of war at Fort McHenry, Maryland.

 

Return to the National Register Search page