Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Breck Chapman, 02/2004
Public School No. 109
Inventory No.: B-3929
Other Name(s): The Broadway School (Male and Female Primary Sch. #5)
Date Listed: 9/25/1979
Location: 825 N. Broadway, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1876
Architect/Builder: Architect: J.J. Husband
Description: The Broadway School, #109, was a stylistically neutral utilitarian brick structure which stood in the neighborhood of the Johns Hopkins Hospital. This 2-story red brick building featured a central tower capped by a pediment, two large chimneys with arched openings, and an entrance appendage on the south façade housing a stairwell. The school fronted on Broadway, which had a landscaped median strip with trees, sloping lawn, and space for sitting and walking. The building was surrounded by late 19th century brick rowhouses. The Broadway School was demolished in late 2003/early 2004 in order to make room for the Kennedy Krieger Institute’s new “Community Behavioral Health Center.” Significance: The Broadway School was constructed in 1876. The building was significant as an "open plan" school with classes separated by glass partitions. This plan was developed in 1868 after a reformist movement sought to develop prototypical standards for school buildings. The "open plan" design was developed by J.J. Husband and was first used in School No. 126 in Sharp-Leadenhall. This plan allowed the principal to have a commanding view of all the classrooms. It also provided the flexibility to create larger classrooms by opening up glass partitions. The school operated for nearly 100 years.

 

Return to the National Register Search page