Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Dean R. Wagner, 01/16/2002
Cedarcroft Historic District
Inventory No.: B-1340
Date Listed: 12/24/2003
Location: Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: 1848-1937
Architect/Builder: Edward L. Palmer, Jr., Roy G. Pratt, George Norbury MacKenzie III, Herbert L. Walton, J.S. Downing, G. Bernard Lohmuller, and Mottu & White.
Resources: 141 (138 contributing, 3 non-contributing)
Description: Cedarcroft is an early-20th century residential subdivision located just inside the northern Boundary of Baltimore City. The historic district is roughly bounded by Gittings Avenue, York Road, East Lake Avenue, and Bellona Avenue, all heavily trafficked roadways. Cedarcroft Road, which runs east-west between York Road and Bellona Avenue, is the only major road within the district. Other streets in the district, including Blackburn Lane, Hollen Road, Sycamore Road, and Pinehurst Road, are narrow and curve with the contour of the land, which slopes gently from Bellona Avenue to York Road at the lowest point. Old growth trees are lining the roadways and within house lots, informal landscaping, shallow gutters, and original exposed-aggregate concrete sidewalks contribute to the appearance of a rustic setting. With the exception of one church and its connected parish house, all 290 resources within the district are single detached houses, most of which were constructed between 1909 and 1937 during the period when Cedarcroft was actively developed as a residential suburb. Houses in the district reflect the influence of a wide variety of early-20th century revival styles, predominantly Neoclassical Revival and Dutch Colonial designs, but examples of Tudor Revival, Shingle Style, American Foursquare, and Bungalow types are found as well. Many of the houses have associated garages. The church and tower reflect the half-timbered Tudor Revival style; the parish house, constructed later to the design of Baltimore architects Mottu & White, exemplifies the Late Gothic Revival style. The work of at least seven local architects or architectural firms is represented in Cedarcroft, including Edward L. Palmer, Jr., Roy G. Pratt, George Norbury MacKenzie III, Herbert L. Walton, J.S. Downing, G. Bernard Lohmuller, and the firm of Mottu & White. The design sources for the majority of the buildings, however, are undocumented. One 1848 house and its associated outbuildings survive to represent the area's history as a rural country seat in the mid 19th century. The district retains a high level of integrity both in its architecture and in its landscape. The buildings have experienced relatively few alterations and additions, and those which have occurred are generally not deleterious to the overall character of the district. Significance: The Cedarcroft Historic District is significant for its association with the suburban development of Baltimore in the early 20th century, and as an example of a type of residential subdivision which characterized the area in the period. York road, which bounds Cedarcroft on the east, was established as a major turnpike in the early 19th century, linking the growing port of Baltimore with agricultural lands to the north. The first house in the area that was to become Cedarcroft was constructed as a country retreat in the late 1840s, about the same time as the horse-drawn street railway was introduced to Baltimore. A horse-drawn railway became established on York Road in 1863 and was subsequently converted to electric power. York Road's importance as an artery into the city from points north was confirmed with the increasing popularity of automobile travel after the turn of the 20th century. Around that time, real estate developers began to focus their attention on the York Road corridor, where a relatively undeveloped, pastoral setting combined with convenient transportation to downtown to make it a desirable location for suburban residential subdivisions. The development of Cedarcroft also illustrates the process by which the overall appearance of the community was shaped by a few influential house designs. The architectural office of Edward L. Palmer, Jr. created three plans for houses in Cedarcroft in 1916 and 1919. Although only eight houses were constructed using these plans, many of the design elements they employed came to be seen throughout the district.

District Resources (141) (138 contributing, 3 non-contributing)

From associated listing in National Register nomination form. C = Contributing, NC = non-contributing, blank = not evaluated.

AddressStatusResource Name and MIHP (if any)
6100 Blackburn LaneC 
6101 Blackburn LaneC 
6102 Blackburn LaneC 
6103 Blackburn LaneC 
6104 Blackburn LaneC 
6105 Blackburn LaneC 
6106 Blackburn LaneC 
6108 Blackburn LaneC 
6202 Blackburn LaneC 
6203 Blackburn LaneC 
6204 Blackburn LaneC 
6206 Blackburn LaneC 
6207 Blackburn LaneC 
6208 Blackburn LaneC 
6209 Blackburn LaneC 
6210 Blackburn LaneC 
6212 Blackburn LaneC 
6213 Blackburn LaneC 
200 Cedarcroft RoadC 
201 Cedarcroft RoadC 
202 Cedarcroft RoadC 
203 Cedarcroft RoadC 
204 Cedarcroft RoadC 
205 Cedarcroft RoadC 
206 Cedarcroft RoadC 
207 Cedarcroft RoadC 
208 Cedarcroft RoadC 
209 Cedarcroft RoadC 
210 Cedarcroft RoadC 
211 Cedarcroft RoadC 
212 Cedarcroft RoadC 
213 Cedarcroft RoadC 
214 Cedarcroft RoadC 
215 Cedarcroft RoadC 
216 Cedarcroft RoadC 
217 Cedarcroft RoadC 
219 Cedarcroft RoadC 
300 Cedarcroft RoadC 
301 Cedarcroft RoadC 
302 Cedarcroft RoadC 
303 Cedarcroft RoadC 
304 Cedarcroft RoadC 
305 Cedarcroft RoadC 
306 Cedarcroft RoadC 
307 Cedarcroft RoadC 
308 Cedarcroft RoadC 
309 Cedarcroft RoadC 
311 Cedarcroft RoadC 
312 Cedarcroft RoadC 
400 Cedarcroft RoadC 
401 Cedarcroft RoadC 
402 Cedarcroft RoadC 
403 Cedarcroft RoadC 
404 Cedarcroft RoadC 
405 Cedarcroft RoadC 
406 Cedarcroft RoadC 
407 Cedarcroft RoadC 
408 Cedarcroft RoadC 
409 Cedarcroft RoadC 
410 Cedarcroft RoadC 
411 Cedarcroft RoadC 
412 Cedarcroft RoadC 
413 Cedarcroft RoadC 
414 Cedarcroft RoadC 
415 Cedarcroft RoadC 
416 Cedarcroft RoadC 
417 Cedarcroft RoadC 
418 Cedarcroft RoadC 
6122 York Road and Cedarcroft Road (419 Cedarcroft Road)CB-2905 -- Church of the Nativity
419 Cedarcroft RoadC 
420 Cedarcroft RoadC 
219 Gittings AvenueC 
301 Gittings AvenueC 
303 Gittings AvenueC 
305 Gittings AvenueC 
307 Gittings AvenueC 
311 Gittings AvenueC 
313 Gittings AvenueC 
315 Gittings AvenueC 
317 Gittings AvenueC 
319 Gittings AvenueC 
321 Gittings AvenueC 
401 Gittings AvenueC 
403 Gittings AvenueC 
405 Gittings AvenueC 
407 Gittings AvenueC 
409 Gittings AvenueC 
411 Gittings AvenueC 
400 Hollen RoadC 
401 Hollen RoadC 
402 Hollen RoadC 
404 Hollen RoadC 
405 Hollen RoadC 
406 Hollen RoadC 
407 Hollen RoadC 
408 Hollen RoadC 
409 Hollen RoadC 
410 Hollen RoadC 
411 Hollen RoadC 
412 Hollen RoadC 
413 Hollen RoadC 
414 Hollen RoadC 
415 Hollen RoadC 
416 Hollen RoadC 
417 Hollen RoadC 
202 E. Lake AvenueC 
204 E. Lake AvenueC 
206 E. Lake AvenueC 
208 E. Lake AvenueC 
210 E. Lake AvenueC 
212 E. Lake AvenueC 
214 E. Lake AvenueC 
216 E. Lake AvenueC 
218 E. Lake AvenueC 
220 E. Lake AvenueC 
6101 Pinehurst RoadC 
6103 Pinehurst RoadC 
6104 Pinehurst RoadC 
6105 Pinehurst RoadC 
6106 Pinehurst RoadC 
6200 Pinehurst RoadC 
6202 Pinehurst RoadC 
6203 Pinehurst RoadC 
6204 Pinehurst RoadC 
6205 Pinehurst RoadC 
6206 Pinehurst RoadC 
6207 Pinehurst RoadC 
6208 Pinehurst RoadC 
6209 Pinehurst RoadC 
6211 Pinehurst RoadC 
6213 Pinehurst RoadC 
6214 Pinehurst RoadC 
6216 Pinehurst RoadC 
6202 Sycamore RoadC 
6204 Sycamore RoadCB-2883 -- Cedarcroft Estate House (The Lamb Estate)
6208 Sycamore RoadC 
6201 Bellona AvenueC 
6203 Bellona AvenueC 
6231 Bellona AvenueNC 
6212 York RoadNC 
403 Hollen RoadNC 

 

Return to the National Register Search page