Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: MHT File Photo, Undated Photo
Old Goucher College Historic District
Inventory No.: B-4504, B-3725
Date Listed: 8/25/1978
Location: Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: 1879-1941
Boundary Description: Bounded by North Ave, 25th St, 21st St, Lovegrove Alley, Huntingdon Ave, Maryland Ave, 24th St, and Calvert Street
Description: The Old Goucher College Historic District (Expanded) is an approximate 18-block area in the middle of Baltimore which developed in the late 19th and 20th centuries. It is characterized generally by two- and three-story brick row houses constructed mostly in the 19th century and several large-scale institutional and commercial buildings dating from both centuries. Stylistically, the area is characterized primarily by Italianate, Romanesque, Colonial Revival, and Art Deco influences. The principal streets run north and south with 25th Street at the tip going east and west. North Charles Street, the city’s major axis street, travels the middle of the district. The buildings to the east of Charles Street generally stand at the lot lines by the sidewalks. On Charles Street and west, the buildings have deep set backs. The southeast corner is characterized by four large-scale stone churches (Lovely Lane U.M. Church, St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church, St. Marks Lutheran Church, and the Seventh Baptist Church) along St. Paul Street. These churches, dating mostly from the 19th century, are Gothic, Italianate, and Romanesque in style. Running east and west at the center of the district are a series of large scale, multiple story brick and stone structures built for the Women’s College of Baltimore, present-day Goucher College, now located in Baltimore County. Scattered throughout the district are several free-standing houses, generally large in scale, and several other free-standing commercial and municipal buildings: including two 19th century Victorian schools, a 1930s Art Deco Board of Education office building, a turn-of-the-20th-century brick firehouse with Romanesque decoration, and a 1930s Art Deco automobile showroom on Charles Street. Many of the rowhouses have been converted for commercial use and as apartments. Some have had commercial fronts added over time. Although compromises to the integrity of the district are very much noticeable, the district overall still reads as a late 19th century and early 20th century Baltimore neighborhood in scale, plan, and buildings. Significance: The Old Goucher College Historic District (Expanded) is significant for association with the history of Baltimore and the architectural character of the buildings which stand in it. The district was developed during a period of rapid growth. The city’s population was increasing by about 100,000 each decade from 1870 through the 1950s. In 1888, the city annexed a 23 square mile region to the north and west. This annexation nearly tripled the land mass of Baltimore. The Old Goucher College Historic District was brought into the city by this annexation. Mostly vacant land at that time, the district was almost fully developed by the turn of the 20th century. It developed as a prestigious residential and institutional neighborhood with commercial overtones. The residents were generally of a professional class. Goucher College, founded as Women’s College of Baltimore, was established here. Architecturally, significant examples of the major styles which characterize Baltimore are found here. Of particular note are an Art Deco automobile showroom, the Romanesque Lovely Lane Methodist Church, St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church, and a municipal firehouse. Three buildings designed by the nationally famous architect Stanford White are found here, as well as examples of work by prominent Baltimore architects. The period of significance covers the period from construction of the first extant building to the start of World War II when the general character of Baltimore began to change visually and culturally with the growth of the suburbs.

District Resources

Resources not specifically itemized in a list within NR nomination form.

 

Return to the National Register Search page