Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: P. Holland, 04/1991
Davidsonville Historic District
Inventory No.: AA-1006
Date Listed: 3/27/1992
Location: Davidsonville Road (MD 424) & W. Central Avenue (MD 214) , Davidsonville, Anne Arundel County
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1835-1941
Resources: 16 (15 contributing, 1 non-contributing)
Description: The Davidsonville Historic District comprises a rural crossroads located at the intersection of Central Avenue (MD 214) and Davidsonville Road (MD 424) in central Anne Arundel County, Maryland. A total of fifteen properties are located within the district, including three churches, one commercial building, and eleven houses, representing the period from the village’s initial settlement ca. 1835 through the early 20th century, when it achieved its present form. Primarily dating from around the turn of the 20th century, the resources within the district reflect a variety of building forms and stylistic influences which characterized rural communities of the period in the region. They are located along Central Avenue, on lots of varying sizes; several of the houses on the north side of the road maintain a uniform setback line. The village reflects a pattern of linear development which is typical of small rural communities in agricultural settings in the Western Shore region of Maryland. Significance: The Davidsonville Historic District is significant as a largely intact representative example of the type of crossroads community which characterized rural Anne Arundel County in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Davidsonville is among the best preserved examples of this type of community remaining in the county; other comparable villages have been obliterated by subsequent development. The village has maintained substantial integrity despite increasingly intensive development pressure in the surrounding area.

District Resources (16) (15 contributing, 1 non-contributing)

From associated listing in National Register nomination form. C = Contributing, NC = non-contributing, blank = not evaluated.

AddressStatusResource Name and MIHP (if any)
825 W. Central AvenueCAA-850 -- Holy Family Catholic Church
746 W. Central AvenueCAA-159 -- Davidson House
W. Central AvenueCAA-862 -- Davidson-Neall House
W. Central AvenueCAA-79 -- Davidsonville United Methodist Church
W. Central AvenueCAA-1003 -- Davidsonville United Methodist Church Parsonage
809 W. Central AvenueCAA-96 -- All Hallows Rectory (All Hallows Parsonage)
Davidsonville Road (MD 424) & W. Central Avenue (MD 214)CAA-1002 -- Davidsonville Store (Davidsonville Supply)
829 W. Central AvenueCAA-1001 -- William Neall House
South of the intersection of MD 214 & MD 424CMethodist Church Cemetery
W. Central AvenueCAA-202 -- All Hallows' Chapel and Cemetery
852 W. Central AvenueCAA-2442 -- The Brown/Davis House (pending submittal)
W. Central AvenueCAA-860 -- Talbot's Lot III (Dorothy Suit Residence)
846 W. Central AvenueCAA-861 -- Talbot's Lot II (Edna Suitt House)
844 W. Central AvenueCAA-858 -- Talbot's Lot (Hegge House)
834 W. Central AvenueCAA-1005 -- Simmons House (Simmons-Beall House)
W. Central AvenueNCMid-20th Century House

 

Return to the National Register Search page