Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Christopher Weeks, 05/1992
Mill Green Historic District
Inventory No.: HA-1781
Date Listed: 6/3/1993
Location: Mill Green, Harford County
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1770-c. 1933
Resources: 11 (9 contributing, 0 non-contributing)
Description: The Mill Green Historic District consists of 10 principal buildings and their dependencies, which are dotted across approximately 100 acres of rolling countryside on both sides of Broad Creek. The district is located in the still-rural northeast section of Harford County, about 10 miles north of Bel Air. The structures are built in various vernacular styles, range in age from the c. 1770 miller's house to the late 19th century, are frame or native fieldstone, and without exception date to the years which make up the district's period of significance. The village owes its birth to John Ashmore's pre-Revolutionary grist mill and contemporaneous house. The mill was replaced by Nathaniel Bemis, an Ashmore in-law, in 1827 and this is the mill that still stands. The presence of the new mill quickly attracted other men and women to the area and these people built what became a self-sufficient community with a general store, post office, saw mill, cider mill, and undertaking establishment. The community became a hub of the region and flourished as such for approximately two generations. All principal buildings in the district contribute to the district's significance. Significance: The Mill Green Historic District is significant in the areas of industry and architecture. Centered around the 1827 Mill Green mill, the village is the largest extant 18th or 19th century industrial community remaining in Harford County, which once boasted many such villages. The county, situated equally in the Piedmont and Tidewater regions of the state, is crossed by innumerable swift-flowing streams which were, in the 18th and 19th centuries, tapped and the controlled water was used to power scores of grist- and sawmills, iron forges and furnaces, and other such products of the American Industrial Revolution. Mill Green village came into being in the mid 19th century as shopkeepers, an undertaker, and a postmaster arrived and built residences for themselves. Residences which often doubled as places of work; located far from any sizeable town, the village perforce became a self-sufficient community. Roads, the descriptions for which always mention the mill as a starting (or ending) place, were laid out through the rural countryside and the little villages in the county have not fared as well as Mill Green. The Mill Green village was essentially in place by the Civil War. There are 10 principal buildings in the district today, and the 1878 Martenet Map of Harford County, Maryland shows 10 principal buildings in the community. The only changes to the village since that map was made is the loss of one structure (a sawmill) and the addition of another (a c. 1898 house/office built by and for the village doctor). The district's appearance has remained essentially unchanged for the past century. The period of significance begins with the circa 1770 construction date of the miller's house and ends with c. 1933, about the time the mill ceased to operate and major machinery elements were removed.

District Resources (11) (9 contributing, 0 non-contributing)

From associated listing in National Register nomination form. C = Contributing, NC = non-contributing, blank = not evaluated.

AddressStatusResource Name and MIHP (if any)
Prospect RoadCWilliam G. Roberts House
Mill Green RoadCHA-96 -- Frank Famous House (Mill Green Hotel)
Mill Green RoadCHA-97 -- Frank Famous Tenant House
3648 Mill Green RoadCHA-95 -- Chrismers' House at Mill Green
3633 Mill Green RoadCHA-99 -- John Famous House
3631 Mill Green RoadCHA-100 -- John Famous Tenant House
Mill Green RoadCHA-94 -- Thomas House at Mill Green
3645 Mill Green RoadCHA-98 -- Darnell House at Mill Green
Prospect Road (Mill Green Road)CHA-93 -- Robert's Mill, N.S. Bemis Mills (Mill Green Mill)
Prospect Road (3660 Mill Green Road)C/NCHA-92 -- Robert's Mill - Miller's Cottage (Mill Green Cottage)
Doyle Road HA-1106 -- Iron Truss Bridge 143

 

Return to the National Register Search page