Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Susan G. Pearl, 04/1986
Don S.S. Goodloe House
Inventory No.: PG:71A-30
Date Listed: 10/13/1988
Location: 13809 Jericho Park Road (at corner of Laurel Bowie Road, MD 197) , Bowie, Prince Georges County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1915
Architect/Builder: Architect: John A. Moore
Description: The Don S.S. Goodloe House is a hip-roofed brick and frame dwelling, four square in plan, and Colonial Revival in decoration. Built in 1915-1916, the house is of wood frame construction, faced with brick laid in common bond; it consists of a 2 1/2-story main block with a two-story rear (west) wing. The house is distinguished by its substantial size in this rural area; it has tall exterior corbeled brick chimneys, gable-roofed dormers with Palladian-style windows, stick-style decorative details, and a wrap-around porch with Tuscan columns and a balustrade. The entrance is in the central bay of the 3-bay east facade, and consists of a door with 10-pane sidelights and a three-light transom. Each sidelight consists of two vertical rows of five panes each, over a molded panel. Above the entrance is a 3-part window on the second story, consisting of a 9/1 window flanked by narrower 6/1 windows. The gable-roofed dormer above features a Palladian window, and this is repeated on the north plane of the roof. The first bay of the south facade is highlighted by a 2 1/2-story semi-octagonal projecting bay with 9/1 sash windows in its three faces. A second story door in its easterly face opens onto the roof of the south porch, where a balcony is surrounded by a plain balustrade. The projecting bay is surmounted by a pedimented cross gable. The pediment is set off above a deeply shelved molded cornice, supported by stick-style brackets with pendants. Within the tympanum is a louvered lunette window. Other windows are long 9/1 sash with narrow molded casings, flat brick arches, and plain stone sills. The hip roof is covered with asphalt shingle and has a deeply molded wooden cornice over one course of rowlock. Another course of brick in rowlock defines a water table. Two tall exterior corbeled brick chimneys rise on the north elevation, framing the center bay. A third exterior chimney rises between the second and third bay of the south elevation, balanced by the projecting bay. There is a fourth tall corbeled brick chimney at the juncture of the main block and wing. To the west is a two-story hip roofed wing, one bay deep and two bays wide with an entrance in the north elevation. Interior plan of the house is the traditional Foursquare, with central stairhall and flanking double parlors. Trim is Classical in style, of pine with a dark stain, and features pocket and accordion doors with original hardware. The house stands on a parcel of land northwest of Bowie state College, and faces roughly east towards Jericho Park Road. The only outbuilding possibly contemporaneous with the house is a long storage shed at the northwest corner of the lot. The outbuilding is in a near state of collapse. Significance: The Don S.S. Goodloe House, a 1915-1916 Colonial Revival style building veneered with brick, is significant for association with Don Speed Smith Goodloe (d. 1959), who was the first principal of the Maryland Normal and Industrial School, now Bowie State University, Maryland's first black post-secondary school. As principal from the opening of the school in 1911 until 1921, Goodloe directed and managed this public institution through the formative years, a period characterized by the state's unwillingness to provide adequate funding for the housing and training of the students. (The two white normal schools under the state were well funded.) Forced to provide his own housing, Goodloe had this large and commodious house built to accommodate not only his family, but also students for which he received additional income from the state. The house was designed by John A. Moore, a black architect from Washington, D.C. Goodloe occupied the house until his death. No campus buildings from the early period still stand.


Return to the National Register Search page