Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Orlando Ridout V, 05/1979
Inventory No.: QA-163
Date Listed: 7/15/1994
Location: Kent Point Road (MD 8) , Stevensville, Queen Annes County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1740; mid 18th century; c. 1910
Description: Friendship is of Flemish bond brick construction and was built in two stages, both dating to the 18th century. The original section is 1 1/2 stories high, three bays wide, and one room deep, with a single flush chimney centered at each end of the steeply pitched gable roof. This early house is traditionally believed to date to the 1740s. The principal facade of the main house appears to be the west wall, which is laid in glazed-header Flemish bond above a beveled watertable and a random glazed Flemish bond foundation. The central entrance is flanked by a single 9/6 window on either side. Three gable-roofed 6/6 dormers are ranged across the second floor. The door opening has a splayed jack arch lintel with repairs. The window lintels consist of a single rowlock course. The 8-panel door and the present dormer windows date to the second quarter of the 19th century. The eaves are finished with a box cornice, a small crown mold, and a larger bed mold applied against a molded frieze. The brickwork of the east facade has only random glazed headers, and other details are plainer. The watertable is square-section and the door lintel is an arched rowlock course with brick infill above the frame. The 6-panel door is Victorian. The south gable wall holds a pair of 6/3 windows in the upper gable, which may replace earlier, smaller windows. The chimney is one of the finest in the country, with tiled weatherings at the base of the shaft and corbeled drip courses marking off a band that may once have been finished with plaster necking. The north gable wall is almost entirely covered by the kitchen wing, added later in the 18th century The 1 1/2 story wing, projecting from the north gable, is three bays wide and the same depth as the main house, with flush chimneys centered on both gables of the steeply pitched roof. The floor levels and ridgeline are somewhat lower than the original house, and the south chimney is constructed against the north chimney of the main house to form a T-plan stack. The dormer windows on the wing match those on the main house, but there are only two on each side of the roof. All windows on the wing are 6/6. The original interior floor plan of the main house was most likely the present hall and parlor plan, but with a different stair circulation pattern. It appears that there were originally winder stairs in both rooms, which were removed and replaced with a straight run center stair in the mid 19th century. Also on the property is a 19th century frame smoke house and an early-20th century frame dairy. Significance: Friendship is one of perhaps a dozen houses in Queen Anne's County believed to date to the first half of the 18th century. The overall form and the detailing of the house are typical of early buildings in the area, and the documentary evidence reinforces a traditional date of c. 1740s. Exterior details of interest include the glazed header Flemish bond brickwork, the beveled watertable on the front facade, glazed chevrons on the north gable, and the two handsome chimneys. Notable interior details include the early crossetted architrave trim, the paneled window embrasures, and the interior cornice in the parlor. The side pieces of an unusual mantel surround have also survived. Adding distinction to this property is an early-20th century frame dairy, built probably about 1910. It is the only known dairy of this period in the county and reflects the continued agricultural use of this property and agricultural nature of the county, which is rapidly disappearing.


Return to the National Register Search page