Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Erik Kvalsvik, 1997
Sanitary Laundry Company Building
Inventory No.: B-2294
Date Listed: 10/14/1994
Location: 118-120 N. Paca Street (MD 295), Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1883
Description: The Sanitary Laundry Company Building is a five-bay wide, five-story brick loft building located on the west side of North Paca Street between West Baltimore and Lexington Streets in downtown Baltimore City. It is located in the neighborhood which was the center of Baltimore’s "needle trades" in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The building has a cast-iron storefront at street level, comprising fluted square columns treated with molded chamfers and decorated with rosettes at the level of the transom bars. The storefront is capped with a complex molded metal cornice terminating in pedimented elements at the building corners. The upper façade is characterized by elaborate decorative brickwork and terra cotta ornament reflecting the influence of the Queen Anne style of the 1880s. The façade retains a high degree of architectural integrity; the storefront retains its important cast-iron elements, and the upper floors are essentially unchanged. The central bay of the building projects beyond the plane of the façade, forming a pavilion which rises the full height of the building and terminates in a pediment with filigree decoration. Brick piers marking the façade corners also project, rising to pyramidal finials. Significance: The Sanitary Laundry Company building, significant for its cast-iron storefront, was built c. 1833, when the property was purchased by Ormond Hammond, Jr. Its original function was as a slaughterhouse and meat packing plant, and continued in this use until 1897, when it was converted to a commercial laundry.

 

Return to the National Register Search page