Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Peter E. Kurtze, 02/1994
St. Elizabeth of Hungary
Inventory No.: B-4500
Date Listed: 11/4/1994
Location: 2638 E. Baltimore Street and 35 N. Lakewood Avenue, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1895-1941
Architect/Builder: Architects: E. Francis Baldwin, Robert C. Ullrich, Francis E. Tormey
Description: St. Elizabeth of Hungary is a Roman Catholic religious complex located opposite Patterson Park in eastern Baltimore. Developed over the period 1895-1926, it comprises four buildings: a two-story, gable-fronted brick structure erected in 1895 as the original church, parish hall, and rectory; a large stone Romanesque church building constructed in 1912; a three-story convent built in 1922; and a large three-story parochial school which was added to the site in 1926. The convent and school are faced with Woodstock granite and feature cast-stone detailing to correspond with the material and Romanesque style exhibited by the 1912 church. The buildings retain good integrity to the period of their construction. The complex occupies a city block directly opposite Patterson Park; the original building and the present church front on East Baltimore Street, facing the park, at the south end of the lot, with the convent located at the north end of the property and the school filling the center of the block. The complex is located within a dense urban neighborhood of two- and three-story masonry rowhouses, chiefly developed in the last decade of the 19th century and first quarter of the 20th. Significance: St. Elizabeth of Hungary parish in East Baltimore was established in 1895 during a period of rapid growth in the Baltimore archdiocese. The complex typifies parish development as mandated by the church authorities. New parishes were to have both a church and a school with emphasis on the school. The priority of construction was the school first and then the church if there were insufficient funds to build both. At St. Elizabeth, the first building was a combination church and school. As the parish expanded services provided to its membership (societies, gym, library), the physical plant grew. A convent was built in 1921 and a new school building in 1926. New parish schools were being built, as is the case here, to the standards used by the public school system to make parish schools attractive to the membership. By the start of World War II, St. Elizabeth of Hungary was one of the largest parishes in the archdiocese. At this time the Baltimore archdiocese included all of the state of Maryland minus the Eastern Shore, but also included the District of Columbia. In 1931, the St. Elizabeth School had the largest student enrollment, 1500 students, in the archdiocese.

 

Return to the National Register Search page