Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Paul Baker Touart, 12/1993
Queponco Railway Station
Inventory No.: WO-276
Date Listed: 1/19/1996
Location: 2378 Patey Woods Road , Newark, Worcester County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1910-1911
Description: The Queponco Railway Station, built in 1910-11, is a single-story, rectangular frame structure supported on a poured concrete foundation and sheathed with German siding. The broad hip roof, supported by large chamfered brackets, is covered with slate. The northwest side of the three-bay building is marked by a projecting bay filled with paired 9/1 sash windows. To each side of the bay are partially glazed doors, covered with metal grille, and topped by three-light transoms. The south end of the building is pierced by a tripartite window of narrow 6/1 sash windows. The lower sash are protected by metal grilles. The north end of the station has been altered with the introduction of a garage door. The southeast side of the station is marked by three openings, comprising a center window and flanking, partially glazed doors. Each opening is carefully centered in the bays, which are defined by the supporting roof braces. The interior retains much of its early-20thcentury woodwork including beaded board wainscoting, built-in desks, and a built-in bench in the south waiting room. Significance: The Queponco Railway Station is significant as an intact example of the type of rail depot which characterized rural towns on Maryland's lower Eastern Shore in the early 20th century. The building retains a high degree of integrity, with the majority of its character-defining elements intact, including its rectangular form with a projecting bay on the track side, hipped roof with broad overhanging eaves supported on decorative brackets, interior finish of beaded wainscoting and plaster, and original built-in furniture. The Queponco Railway Station is distinctive in Worcester County as one of two rail depots of the period which retain integrity and remain in their original locations, and is the better-preserved of these two examples; the other station, located at Snow Hill, has lost most of its interior woodwork, diminishing its integrity. The Queponco Railway Station derives additional significance for its association with the development of rail transportation in the region. The Worcester Rail Road Company established service to the village of Newark in 1872; the Queponco Railway Station was constructed in 1910-11 by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, following its purchase of the Worcester County line, as part of a systematic campaign to extend its control of rail transportation in the region. The present building this reflects an important stage in the consolidation of rail transportation on the lower Eastern Shore, as control of rail lines increasingly shifted from small independent operations to regional and later national companies. The period of significance, 1910-c. 1944, begins with the date of construction of the building and ends with the World War II era, by which time rail transportation in the region had begun to be eclipsed by automobile and truck transport.

 

Return to the National Register Search page