Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Peter E. Kurtze, 02/1996
Cedar Grove
Inventory No.: B-4596
Other Name(s): Ridgely's Whim, Sunday's Chance
Date Listed: 11/15/1996
Location: 301 Kendall Road, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1799-1813; 1841
Description: Cedar Grove is a large 2 ½-story, side-passage, double-pile plan house constructed c. 1841. A 1 ½-story wing extending from the east gable incorporates an earlier (c. 1799-1813) structure. The interior of the main block remains essentially unaltered, with the majority of its original decorative detailing intact, including an ornamental open-well stair, symmetrically molded door and window architrave trim with bull’s-eye corner blocks, chair rail, and baseboards. The wing retains early features including window sash, an elaborate Federal-style mantel, and original closets. The building incorporates an especially noteworthy collection of early hardware, much of which is documented by original invoices. The parlors feature two outstanding carved marble mantels, installed in the 1860s-1870s. The house is located on a half-acre lot within a densely developed late 19th/early 20th century urban subdivision; it retains early landscape features, including a boxwood oval marking the alignment of a 19th-century carriage drive. Significance: Cedar Grove is significant for its architectural character, as a well preserved example of a side-passage, double-pile house of the early 19th century. A clear hierarchy of the use of space is apparent in the decorative detailing, which becomes progressively less elaborate as the spaces become less public: the entrance hall and front parlor are most richly detailed, and the degree of elaboration diminishes through the first-floor rear room, the second-floor stair passage, chambers, and attic. The architectural significance of this resource is enhanced by its high degree of integrity; the early features of the house have remained intact and unrestored to the present day. The period of significance extends from c. 1799, the presumed date of the earliest section incorporated into the present house, through c. 1841, at which point it substantially achieved its present form. The building derives additional distinction within its immediate geographical context; representing a traditional rural dwelling type, it predates the urban development of northern Baltimore city and survives within a dense late 19th/early 20th century residential neighborhood.


Return to the National Register Search page