Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Traceries, 01/1996
Patrick Creagh House
Inventory No.: AA-654
Date Listed: 1/29/1973
Location: 160 Prince George Street , , Annapolis, , Anne Arundel County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1735-1747
Description: The Patrick Creagh House is a single pile, 1 1/2-story brick house laid in all header bond in the northeast two-thirds section of the house, and the southwest end section in English bond. A steeply pitched gambrel roof covers the structure, with wood shingles beneath the present asbestos shingles. On each side of the roof are three shed-roofed dormers whose roofs follow the same angle of slope as the upper portion of the gambrel. These hold tall, narrow, 6-light casement windows. A wooden box cornice, which is a replacement, is located above the first floor with a plain, bed molding below it. The principal entrance is in the center bay of the five-bay southwest façade, although placed slightly to the right of center. The 6-panel door is a replacement. In addition to the single interior end chimney, the house at one time had a center chimney which was removed when the house was converted into two apartments. During alterations, made sometime after 1875, a door was cut near the southern end of the building to give private access to that portion of the house. The building has been restored to a single house and this door converted into a window. No original sash seems to remain in the house, although the present 6-light casement windows in the dormers and the 6/6 sash on the first floor are harmonious with architecture of the period. The basement windows originally had segmental arched brick lintels but several of these have been altered. The northeast (rear) elevation currently consists of two bays of the main block of the house and a late 20th century rear wing projecting from the remaining bay. The exposed main block is laid in English bond, but has several areas of altered brickwork, a heavy mortar finish, and renovated openings. Two shed-roofed dormers with 6-light casement windows are located on this rear slope of the gambrel roof. The rear wing is a 1 1/2-story brick structure laid in English bond with random glazed headers. The addition, built to complement the original house, is covered with a steeply pitched gambrel roof that abuts the roof of the main block and features an oversized box cornice. Significance: The Patrick Creagh House, the low-lying 1 1/2-story gambrel-roofed house at 160 Prince George Street in downtown Annapolis, was originally built between 1735 and 1747 by local craftsman Patrick Creagh. The dwelling was enlarged during the late 18th or early 19th centuries, extending southwest into the lot presently designated as 156 Prince George Street. In the early 19th century, the property was purchased by free African-American John Smith, whose wife operated Aunt Lucy’s Bakeshop at the corner of Main and Greene Streets. The building is a significant example of a small freestanding, mid 18th century dwelling and an excellent example of the work and residence of local artisan and tradesman, Patrick Creagh. It is architecturally reminiscent of the Maryland manor houses of the late 17th century.


Return to the National Register Search page