Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Merry Stinson, 10/1996
Lantz-Ziegler House
Inventory No.: WA-I-159
Date Listed: 10/8/1998
Location: 21000 Leitersburg Pike (MD 60) , Hagerstown, Washington County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1800
Description: The Lantz-Zeigler House comprises a two-story five-bay stone main section built in 1800 with a two-story perpendicular ell to the rear. The ell is constructed of stone on the first story (c. 1808); the wood frame second story was added later in the 19th century. Flush siding cut to imitate ashlar covers the west wall, and German siding covers the other walls. A two-story galleried porch runs along the east side of the ell. One brick chimney is located in the center of the asphalt-covered roof, and another appears at the north end of the ell. A modern one-bay-deep, two-story addition covered the north end of the ell under a shed roof. This wood frame structure is stuccoed. The main, or south, façade of the house is constructed of coursed rough ashlar. A shallow stone water table runs along this façade. Stone jack arches, each composed of nine fairly narrow stones, top the front and rear entrances and all windows except on the façade's second story where the windows run to within a few inches of the cornice. The remaining walls of the main block as well as the stone section of the ell are laid in random limestone masonry. The stones in the main section are relatively small, while those in the ell are fairly large. Stone jack arches over the doors and windows of the ell are made of a few large, smoothly finished stones. The first floor windows on the main façade hold 12/12 sash, while 12/8 windows appear above. The sides of the main block and the stone level of the ell all feature 9/6 sash windows. The second floor of the ell holds 2/2 sash windows. Shutter pintels remain on many of the ogee-trimmed window frames of the main section. Modern aluminum storm windows have been fitted carefully, retaining the original appearance and proportion of the windows. Two four-pane casement windows light the attic in each gable end. The main central entrance was rebuilt in the mid 19th century. The stone jack-arch and the rough opening are intact, but the architraves were moved from within the opening to the face of the stonework on either side. The interior edges of the stone opening were enlarged to accommodate a pair of 5-paneled doors. A five-light transom tops the entrance. The doors' shallow panels resemble the paneling of the jambs. In each panel four facets taper to the corners from a central line. A one-story 3-bay wood frame front porch with square posts was built recently to replace a deteriorated porch with Doric columns. The old porch was not original, and the new porch is compatible with the façade. A deep coved cornice finishes the eaves. Large brick chimneys rise at either end of the ridgeline. The property also includes a one-story stone outbuilding and a small timber-framed horse barn. The house exhibits fine coursed masonry with a Georgian façade and floor plan. Nearly all the original woodwork, including the window sash, remains intact. Also on the property are a stone outbuilding, a horse barn, and the site of an 1824 stone bridge. Significance: The Lantz-Zeigler House is significant as an exceptionally well-crafted and well-preserved example of a vernacular architectural form which characterized rural Washington County in the early 19th century. It displays outstanding coursed stone masonry, exemplifying a regional building tradition, and retains the majority of its interior decorative detailing.


Return to the National Register Search page