Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Merry Stinson, 05/1998
Robert Clagett Farm
Inventory No.: WA-III-036
Date Listed: 2/2/1999
Location: Garretts Mill Road, Knoxville, Washington County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1775
Description: The Robert Clagett Farm house is a one-story stone structure measuring three bays long by two bays deep. The finished loft provides another level of living space. The main fa├žade faces north, and is sheltered by a one-story porch. A two-story galleried porch runs along the south side, where the cellar level is fully exposed. Both porches were built in the 20th century, although the south side certainly always had a porch to provide access to the first floor's rear entrance. The main entrance is set directly west of center. The rear entrance opening onto the porch is located directly opposite the front door. The cellar entrance is positioned below this rear door. A small square window lights the cellar in the northern bay on either side. The eastern window retains its original diagonally set horizontal ventilation bars. A window with paired single-pane sashes was inserted in the west side's south bay in the mid-20th century. The south side of the cellar has a 2/2 sash window to the west and a 4/4 sash window to the east. Lighting the main floor are 2/2 Victorian sash windows. A two-pane transom appears over either door. Two-pane casement windows light the attic gables. Two dormers light either side of the loft. An interior stone chimney stack rises from either end of the asphalt covered roof. The farm also includes a small 1875 stone-arched bridge which carries Valley Road over Israel Creek, a mid-19th century diary barn, a small shed-roofed frame outbuilding which may once have housed pigs, and a 1930s frame garage. Significance: The Robert Clagett Farm is significant primarily for the architectural character of the late 18th century stone house. The exceptionally well-crafted house, built of local sandstone, relates to the tradition of fine stone masonry characteristic of the vernacular dwellings of Washington County in the 18th century, while its three-room end-chimney plan is more frequently associated with neighboring Loudoun County, Virginia. Exceptionally finely finished for a house of its size, the building displays elements of both German and English architectural traditions, reflecting the cultural interplay that characterized the region in the period. The farm also retains a collection of 19th and early 20th century outbuildings, exemplifying the evolution of this agricultural property.


Return to the National Register Search page