Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Merry Stinson, 02/1999
Good-Hartle Farm
Inventory No.: WA-I-175
Date Listed: 12/9/1999
Location: 13357 Little Antietam Road (MD 62) , Hagerstown, Washington County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1765; 1833
Description: The Good-Hartle Farm is a two-part, two-story stuccoed structure. The 1765 log section stands two bays square with an interior end chimney. Its insulated puncheon floor and principal rafter roof construction with intact weatherboarded gables are especially rare early structural features reflecting Germanic vernacular architecture of the period. In 1833, the four-bay-long limestone section was added, comprising a center hall flanked by two rooms, running in a linear fashion from the north gable end. The house is stuccoed and painted white, which may be an original treatment. This part retains the original stair, mantels, and woodwork. Each section is covered with a gable roof, although the roof of the original house is more steeply pitched. An interior brick chimney rises from the north end of the log portion and another appears in the north end of the stone portion. A shed-roofed porch shelters the main entrance. A 1 1/2-story frame addition covering the east side of the original house dates from the early 20th century. This addition was later extended several feet, then a screened porch was built along this side, continuing along the stone section to shelter the two doors. The farm includes an early 19th century log springhouse with a cooking fireplace, and two late 19th/early 20th century frame outbuildings. Significance: The Good-Hartle Farm is primarily significant for its architecture. The house comprises a log section built after 1765 by Jacob Good, a Swiss Mennonite from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and a stone section built in 1833 by George Hartle, the grandson of a German immigrant also from Lancaster County. The house thus presents a significant example of a rare early structure which was adapted for 19th century use by the 1833 addition. The 1765 house reflects Germanic building traditions in its insulated puncheon floor, and in an exceptionally well-built principal rafter roof system with unusual well-preserved gable walls of original beaded weatherboards. The springhouse, wagon shed, and barn reflect the continued agricultural function of the farm complex.


Return to the National Register Search page