Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Scott Meacham, 10/1999
Stieff Silver Company Factory
Inventory No.: B-3990
Date Listed: 6/30/2000
Location: 800 Wyman Park Drive, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1925, 1929
Architect/Builder: Architect: Theodore Wells Pietsch
Description: The Stieff Silver Company Factory is a two-story nine-bay rectangular brick factory building built in two stages in 1925 and 1929. It occupies a triangular landscaped site bordered by Wyman Park Drive, Pacific Street, and Falls Road in Baltimore’s Hampden neighborhood. The building features a lighted sign flanking a central clock that rises above a parapeted roof. The steel framed building has punched windows containing metal industrial sash; detailing includes a water table trimmed with limestone, limestone beltcourses, and simplified corbeled capitals atop pilasters separating the nine bays. The first story of the building was constructed in 1925, and the second in 1929. In 1971 a low two-story addition was added onto the southwest side of the building. Additional interior changes took place in 1979 and 1988, and no machinery remains. Despite these changes, the Stieff Silver Company Factory retains its historic architectural character, appearing much as it did in the 1930s. Significance: The Stieff Silver Company Factory, constructed in 1925 and 1929, represents a significant reminder of the silver industry in Baltimore. The Stieff Silver Company was the last of the Baltimore silverware manufacturers, operating between 1892 and 1999, and during much of its existence was one of two nationally prominent silver makers in Maryland. The Stieff Silver Company Factory is historically significant for its association with the evolution of Baltimore’s silver industry. The period of significance of the factory is 1925 to 1941, the year the building was closed prior to conversion to WWII manufacturing. The two-story building is largely unchanged from 1929 and retains sufficient integrity to convey its historic association despite a 1969-1971 brick addition, which remains low and generally obscured from the public way by trees.

 

Return to the National Register Search page