Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Robert J. Atkinson, 12/1999
Edward W. Haviland House
Inventory No.: CE-1431
Date Listed: 12/7/2000
Location: 2464 Frenchtown Road , Port Deposit, Cecil County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1913
Architect/Builder: Architect: Charles J. McDowell; Contractor: J. A. Barker
Description: The Edward W. Haviland House is a 2 1/2-story stuccoed frame building constructed in 1913 in the Dutch Colonial style. The house is a high quality 12-room, 2 1/2-story building featuring the broad, steeply pitched gable roof that is typical of the style. The front slope of the roof extends to create an integral porch, supported on four stout columns. A broad shed dormer is located above the porch. The roof is covered in metal shingles over cedar. The eaves overhang considerably at the gable ends. There is a massive interior chimney. All 43 windows (double hung) are of the multi-paned colonial style, with working shutters on the second floor. The house is constructed of wood frame and finished with smooth stucco. The foundation, both floor and walls, are poured concrete, unusual for the period. Interior walls and ceilings are plaster on lath. The Haviland House is a well-preserved example of its type and style. There have been no structural changes to its original plan of 1913, and in recent restoration no significant alteration has been made that in any way changed the basic plan or appearance of the house. A large frame double garage and carriage house was built to the rear of the main house in 1926. It was designed by the same architect; the overall appearance compliments the style of the main house. Significance: The Edward W. Haviland House is significant in its local context as an outstanding example of the Dutch Colonial style of the early 20th century. Character-defining features include a broad gable roof, with an integral front porch and shed dormers; multi-paned windows in various sizes and combinations; stucco exterior finish and simple interior trim. The house was designed by architect Charles J. McDowell, who was later associated with Philip H. Frohman in work on the Episcopal National Cathedral in Washington, DC. The design and construction of the Haviland House is exceptionally well documented in a collection of letters and other records. The property derives additional local significance from its association with Edward W. Haviland, E. Kenneth Haviland, and Cecil A. Ewing, three individuals who held important teaching and administrative positions at the Jacob Tome Institute, a privately endowed educational institution founded in 1894.


Return to the National Register Search page