Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Merry Stinson, 05/2000
Hills, Dales and The Vinyard
Inventory No.: WA-II-326
Date Listed: 12/1/2000
Location: 16 Dogstreet Road (Mt. Briar Road), Keedysville, Washington County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1790, c. 1820
Description: This two-story late 18th century log house faces east, with an early 19th century stone addition running perpendicular to the main block. As the elevation drops to the west, the addition's second floor level lines up with the first floor of the original house, and the addition's ground floor level abuts the cellar of the original building. Both sections are covered with gable roofs. Although the log house is technically a true 1 1/2 stories in height, the half-story provides a completely finished second level of space. The main four-bay fa├žade of the two-bay-deep log house has an entrance in the second bay from the south. A shed-roofed portico covers this door. Another door which occupied the third bay from the south was later replaced with a window. The first floor is lit by 9/6 sash windows, and the second by 6/6 sash windows in the gable ends. The floor plan consists of one large room to the south, interpreted as a "meeting room," flanked by two rooms on the north side: a parlor to the east and a small rear chamber to the west. A small hallway with an enclosed stair is located at the west end of the "meeting room." A door from this hall opens into the second floor of the stone addition. The stair leads to three chambers in the second story. A stone cellar underpins the west half of the log house. The cellar door is located at the south end of the west side. Nearly all of the original woodwork, including an unusual folk-art Federal mantel and moldings, doors, and extensive beaded-board finishes remains intact. The stone addition is two bays deep with a pent roofed two-story porch covering the south side. The north side has four bays and the south side has five bays. Doors occupy the second bay from the west on the north side's ground floor, and the easternmost bay and the second bay from the west on each floor of the south side. The stone section has 6/6 sash windows except for two-pane windows in the west gable end of the attic. The addition features fine masonry and a large cooking fireplace. Stone retaining walls, stone fences, a stone bank barn foundation, and a late 19th-century timber framed corn crib are also found on the property. Significance: The log and stone house on the tract Hills, Dales and the Vineyard is architecturally significant for its unusual Germanic three-room floor plan and for the intact woodwork featuring a folk art Federal mantel and extensive beaded board finishes. The early 19th century stone addition is also significantly intact, and incorporates a servants' area which was segregated from the rest of the dwelling, an unusual feature. The stone masonry with some stones set on edge is distinctive. The house is associated with the Geeting (also spelled Keedy) family, prominent local religious and educational leaders in the late 18th and early 19th century.


Return to the National Register Search page