Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Betty Bird, 06/2000
Mt. Vernon Mill No. 1
Inventory No.: B-62
Date Listed: 4/19/2001
Location: 3000-3030 Falls Road, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1873; 1881; 1918
Description: Mount Vernon Mill No. 1, constructed serially between 1873 and 1918, is a complex of four buildings situated along Jones Falls in Baltimore, Maryland. The complex consists of three closely associated 19th century buildings on the east side of Jones Falls Road and a 20th century warehouse on the west side of Jones Falls. Structures include a large, three-story brick Mill Building (1873) constructed above a stone basement; a two-story, brick, L-shaped Picker House (1873); a two-story, brick Store House (c. 1881); and a later, reinforced-concrete warehouse (1918). The Mill Building is the largest and most important building in the complex. No machinery dating to Mount Vernon Mill use remains. Typical of mill buildings in continuous use, the Mill Building has been altered over the years. Its monitor, north stair tower, and mansard roof over the south stair tower have been removed and most window openings have been infilled with brick or concrete block. With the exception of the north stair tower, which was removed for a loading dock addition, these changes are reversible and do not affect the overall integrity of the resource. Significance: Mount Vernon Mill No. 1 is the southernmost surviving textile mill along Jones Falls. Part of a group of textile mills built by Horatio Gambrill, David Carroll, and William Hooper, along with Mount Vernon Mill No. 3, it served as headquarters for Mount Vernon-Woodberry Mills, one of the world’s largest producers of cotton duck. The mill complex is significant for the role it played in the development of Baltimore’s textile industry. Mount Vernon Mill No. 1 also is significant as an example of locally important changes in mill construction during the 1870s and 1880s, namely a marked expansion in size and scale and a consequent shift from stone to brick buildings. The period of significance for the complex extends from 1873, the date the present Mount Vernon Mill No. 1 was constructed, to 1945, the end of a surge in textile production associated with World War II.

 

Return to the National Register Search page