Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Collection of Dean R. Wagner, 12/2000
Tuscany-Canterbury Historic District
Inventory No.: B-1300
Date Listed: 10/28/2001
Location: Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: 1892; 1911-1940
Architect/Builder: Architect: John A. Ahlers; Builder: George R. Morris
Boundary Description: Bounded by Charles St., University Pdwy, Stony Run, Warrenton Rd.
Resources: 96 (83 contributing, 12 non-contributing)
Description: The Tuscany-Canterbury Historic District is a suburban neighborhood in northern Baltimore, Maryland, that primarily developed during the period 1911-1940. The predominantly residential district is characterized by 175 contributing resources, mostly attached houses in a variety of early 20th century styles. Building functions are domestic, religious, educational, and commercial. Materials used are brick, stone, stucco, and glass. Building styles used included English Rowhouse-style, Tudor Revival, Federal Revival, Georgian Revival, Spanish Eclectic, Italian Renaissance, and Neo-Classical. Although the work of at least 16 architects is represented, that of the architect John A. Ahlers and that of the designers who worked for the builder George R. Morris are predominant. The resources within the district reflect a high standard of architectural quality in their design, materials, and construction, and are uniformly well-preserved. Several early mid- and high-rise apartment buildings contribute to the cosmopolitan atmosphere of the neighborhood. A c. 1892 Victorian cottage also survives within the district, reflecting the rural heritage of the area. Significance: The Tuscany-Canterbury Historic District is significant for its association with the suburban development of Baltimore in the early 20th century. Through its valuable array of historic resources, the District preserves a record of North Baltimore’s transformation through stages that were sequentially rural, suburban, and urban. Evidence of this pattern of transformation, which occurred in many major cities along the Eastern seaboard, is especially well preserved in Tuscany-Canterbury. A circa 1892 Victorian cottage survives to reflect the area’s rural origins. Other resources reflective of suburban trends began to be added in stages from as early as 1911, including rowhouses, detached houses, and apartment buildings in a variety of revival styles typical of the period. The district derives additional significance for the high quality of its architecture, the work of many of Baltimore’s most prominent and accomplished designers of the period. The period of significance extends from 1892, the date of the earliest resource in the district, to 1940, by which date the development of the district was substantially complete.

District Resources (96) (83 contributing, 12 non-contributing)

From associated listing in National Register nomination form. C = Contributing, NC = non-contributing, blank = not evaluated.

AddressStatusResource Name and MIHP (if any)
3800 Canterbury RoadC 
3801 Canterbury RoadC 
3902 Canterbury RoadC 
3903-3905-3907 Canterbury RoadC 
3904 Canterbury RoadC 
3909-3911-3913 Canterbury RoadC 
3906 Canterbury RoadC 
3915-3917-3919 Canterbury RoadC 
3921-3923 Canterbury RoadC 
3925-3927 Canterbury RoadC 
3929-3931-3933 Canterbury RoadC 
3935-3937 Canterbury RoadC 
3939-3941 -3943 Canterbury RoadC 
3945-3947 Canterbury RoadC 
3902-3904-3906 Clovehill RoadC 
3903-3905-3907 Clovehill RoadC 
3908-3910-3912 Clovehill RoadC 
3909-3911-3913 Clovehill RoadC 
3914-3916-3918-3920 Clovehill RoadC 
3915-3917-3919-3921 Clovehill Road C 
3922-3924-3926 Clovehill RoadC 
3923-3925-3927 Clovehill RoadC 
3928-3930-3932 Clovehill RoadC 
3929-3931-3933-3935 Clovehill RoadC 
3934-3936-3938 Clovehill RoadC 
3937·3939-3941 Clovehill RoadC 
3940-3942-3944 Clovehill RoadC 
3943-3945-3947 Clovehill RoadC 
3946-3948-3950 Clovehill RoadC 
3949-3951·3953 Clovehill RoadC 
3952-3954-3956 Clovehill RoadC 
3955-3957-3959 Clovehill RoadC 
3925 Linkwood RoadC 
4201-4203 Linkwood RoadC 
3700-3702 N. Charles StreetC 
200 Tuscany RoadC 
213-215 Tuscany RoadC 
301-303 Tuscany RoadC 
305-307-309-311-313 Tuscany RoadC 
315-317-319-321 Tuscany RoadC 
323-325-327-329-331-333 Tuscany RoadC 
326 Tuscany RoadC 
4202 Tuscany CourtC 
4203 Tuscany CourtC 
4204 Tuscany CourtC 
4206 Tuscany CourtC 
4207 Tuscany CourtC 
4208 Tuscany CourtC 
4209 Tuscany CourtC 
4210 Tuscany CourtC 
4211 Tuscany CourtC 
4212 Tuscany CourtC 
4213 Tuscany CourtC 
4 W. Highfield RoadC 
6 W. Highfield RoadC 
10 W. Highfield RoadC 
2 W. 39th StreetC 
4 W. 39th StreetC 
6 W. 39th StreetC 
100 W. 39th StreetC 
101 W. 39th StreetC 
102 W. 39th StreetC 
103 W. 39th StreetC 
3800 N. Charles StreetC 
3908 N. Charles StreetC 
200-202 Ridgemede RoadC 
201-203 Ridgemede RoadC 
204-205-300-302 Ridgemede RoadC 
205-207-209-211-213-215 Ridgemede RoadC 
221 Ridgemede RoadC 
211 Stony Run LaneC 
212 Stony Run LaneC 
220 & 221 Stony Run LaneCB-3614 -- Tuscany-Lombardy Apartments
230 Stony Run LaneC 
100 Tuscany RoadC 
4208 N. Charles StreetC 
4210 N. Charles StreetC 
2 W. University ParkwayC 
100 W. University ParkwayC 
102 W. University ParkwayCB-1405 -- First Church of Christ Scientist
104 W. University ParkwayC 
106 W. University ParkwayC 
108-114 W. University ParkwayC 
4 W. University ParkwayNC 
4300 N. Charles StreetNC 
105 Tuscany RoadNC 
310 Ridgemede RoadNC 
225 Stoneyford RoadNC 
4000 N. Charles StreetNCB-1382 -- Highfield House
4100 N. Charles StreetNC 
3900 N. Charles StreetNC 
105 W. 39th StreetNC 
106-108 W. 39th StreetNC 
110 W. 39th StreetNC 
3704-3706 N. Charles StreetNC 
Corner of N. Charles Street & W. University Parkway B-4256 -- Confederate Women's Monument

 

Return to the National Register Search page