Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Kenneth M. Short, 07/2000
William and Catherine Biggs Farm
Inventory No.: CARR-1644
Date Listed: 10/28/2001
Location: 8212 Sixes Bridge Road , Detour, Carroll County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1793
Description: The William and Catherine Biggs Farm consists of a stone house, a stone outbuilding/summer kitchen, a frame bank barn, and an early-20th century concrete block barn, dairy building, and silo. The house is a two-story, five-bay by two-bay structure with a three-bay by two-bay, two-story rear wing. The structure is principally of rubble stone, with large quoins, but the south or principal elevation is of mostly coursed ashlar. The whole building has been re-pointed recently. Interior brick chimneys stand at either end of the standing-seam metal roof, as well as at the north gable end of the wing, and in the center of the wing. Windows throughout are 9/6 sash on the first floor and 6/6 above. The principal entrance, in the center bay of the south facade, is flanked by five-light sidelights, with a one-light transom, now altered. This bay is sheltered by a one-story gable-roofed portico, supported by four round columns. The portico has a molded sunburst pattern in the tympanum. The west gable end has a window in the north bay of each floor. In the attic gable are two small 6/6 sash windows and a small round-arched opening high in the top of the gable, now filled with mortar. The round arch is formed of brick voussoirs. The rear wing is flush with the west elevation of the main block, and is three bays long with a central entrance with a transom. The north gable end of the wing has only two small 6/6 sash attic windows. The east facade of the wing consists of a single bay to the north, and a two-story recessed porch adjacent to the main block. The first floor of the porch is now enclosed. A single bay remains exposed on the north facade of the main block, and the east gable end of the house is pierced only by two 6/6 sash attic windows. The house has a center passage, double pile plan with two rooms in the rear wing. To the east of the house is a 1 1/2-story stone outbuilding/kitchen. To the south is a frame bank barn, and an early-20th century barn stands east of the bank barn. To the east of that barn is a 1 1/2-story concrete dairy building. Both the dairy and 20th century barn are of rusticated concrete block with round-arched roofs. A rusticated concrete block wing connects the barn to a concrete silo with a metal dome top. Significance: The William and Catherine Biggs Farm is significant as an extremely well preserved and detailed example of the vernacular dwellings of the Federal period in Carroll County, Maryland. Also on the property is an unusual stone outbuilding that appears to have accommodated slaves in its upper story, and an early-20th century stone dairy complex.


Return to the National Register Search page