Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Paul Baker Touart, 11/2000
Inventory No.: WI-39
Date Listed: 12/7/2001
Location: 3955 Jesterville Road (MD 334) , Tyaskin, Wicomico County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1795, c. 1810, 1850
Description: The property historically known as Beaudley is improved by a late-18th century, 1 1/2-story, side hall/double pile, brick-ended frame house that faces west. The gable roof is oriented on a north/south axis. Attached to the east (rear) wall of the three bay main block is a mid-19th century, single-story hyphen that joins a slightly taller single story early-19th century kitchen to the main block. Extending southward from the main block is a two-story, one-room plan frame addition erected around 1850. The north gable end brick wall is laid in Flemish bond, while the other three sides are sheathed with beaded weatherboards with the outside edges trimmed in paneled, mid-19th century cornerboards. The steeply pitched gable roof is covered with wood shingles. The main (west) facade is three bays wide, with an entrance in the south bay. The six-panel door is a replacement, but the adjacent windows are filled with original 9/9 sash windows, and are flanked by modern raised-panel shutters. The base of the roof is finished with a boxed cornice trimmed with an early bed molding. The crown molding appears to be a modern replacement. The steeply pitched roof is marked by a pair of gable-roofed dormers filled with 6/6 sash windows and encased with diagonal beaded board sides. A crown molding trims the edge of each dormer. The brick wall of the north facade has 9/9 windows on the first floor, topped by a rowlock brick arch. A two-course beltcourse stretches across the wall at the second floor level. Rising through the center of the gable end is a flush brick chimney with 2/2 sash windows piercing the attic gable. The house is joined on the lot by several small outbuildings and a Walter family cemetery. Significance: The property historically known as Beaudley is architecturally significant on account of its vernacular design and construction, cumulative plan, as well as its largely intact exterior and interior finishes. Initially built around 1795, the 1 1/2-story, side hall/double-pile main block extends to the rear with a mid-19th century single-story hyphen that joins a slightly taller single-story kitchen erected around 1810. Around 1850 a fourth section was added to the other end. The resulting stepped or telescope building form is indigenous to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and Beaudley stands out as one of the best examples of this architectural tradition in western Wicomico County. Also distinctive for the region is the brick end wall construction for the main block, whereby the fireplaces were contained within a masonry gable end less vulnerable to fire. In an effort to economize, the other three walls of the main block were built in a less expensive manner with traditional braced frame techniques sheathed with beaded weatherboards. The main block of the house retains a large percentage of its late-18th and early-19th century woodwork including an intact Federal stair, six-panel doors with original locks, and Federal mantels in the two first-floor rooms. There are distinct differences in the molding profiles found in various sections of the main block indicating it was finished over a period of two to three decades.


Return to the National Register Search page