Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Traceries, 06/2001
Hood College Historic District
Inventory No.: F-3-189
Date Listed: 12/30/2002
Location: 401 Rosemont Avenue , Frederick, Frederick County
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: 1868-1957
Architect/Builder: Architects: Lloyd Clayton Culler, John Bentz Hamme, Charles Fritz Bowers, Henry Powell Hopkins, and Mertz and Emlen Harrison
Resources: 38 (30 contributing, 8 non-contributing)
Description: Established as the Woman's College of Frederick in 1893, Hood College emerged as a traditional American liberal arts college supporting the growing educational opportunities available to women. Originally located in downtown Frederick in buildings detailed with Ionic columns that were leased from the Frederick Female Seminary, the college outgrew its space by 1913. The present campus, inspired by its spacious 19th century suburban location in northwest Frederick with views of the mountains, came to fruition by the generous support of its initial benefactor Margaret Scholl Hood, a graduate of the Seminary, and the innovative planning ideals of the first college president, Joseph H. Apple. Hood College's initial development consisted of the addition of two buildings, Alumnae Hall and Shriner Hall, in 1915 to support the existing 1868 building now known as Broadbeck Hall. Development continued through the first quarter of the 20th century, only slightly hindered by financial resources and the onset of the Depression. By 1940, over 15 buildings dotted the thriving college campus, which was expanding in an orderly fashion according to the original plan. Through this continued orderly growth, the Beaux-Arts style campus design and its brick buildings, illustrative of the Colonial Revival style, have come to define Hood College as an exemplary representation of the architectural styles and landscape plans commonly found at other colleges and universities throughout the United States. A variety of early-to-mid 20th century American movement architectural styles and building types were also added to the cohesive campus as a small number of adjacent residences were acquired by the college. The campus plan, despite several evolutionary changes, retains much of its original design and architecturally significant buildings, resulting in a period of significance ranging from 1868 through 1957. The area making up the Hood College Historic District presently consists of 30 educational buildings, an observatory, a central quadrangle, a church, an entry gate, and four additional structures, located on approximately 50 landscaped acres. Significance: Hood College is an architecturally and historically significant collegiate campus in Frederick. Originally founded as the Woman's College of Frederick in 1893, the college was established by the Potomac Synod of the Reformed Church in the United States after coeducational courses were discontinued by the Synod at Mercersburg College in Pennsylvania. Simultaneously, the Frederick Female Seminary of Frederick ceased operation and the property was leased to the new Woman's College. The college, which was officially chartered in 1913, had outgrown its leased space in downtown Frederick and, in 1915, moved to a suburban tract acquired through the generous contributions of Frederick Female Seminary graduate, Margaret Scholl Hood, for whom the college was eventually renamed. Hood College stands as a significant symbol of a woman's college that today continues the traditions of academic excellence and professional achievement associated with women's colleges. The academic and educational opportunities for women at Hood represent the widespread transformation from seminary education to progressive and challenging academic pursuits for women. In addition, Hood College represents the culmination of Beaux-Arts style planning ideals coupled with Colonial Revival architecture, one of the most influential collegiate design concepts of the 20th century. The original campus plan, as envisioned by the college's first president, Joseph Apple, incorporated the existing 1868 Italianate/Greek Revival-style German social hall, which was renamed Broadbeck Hall when the campus officially opened in the fall of 1915. Individually, this building documents the contributions and customs of Frederick's numerous German immigrants, particularly their social an recreational hunt clubs in the second half of the 19th century.

District Resources (38) (30 contributing, 8 non-contributing)

From associated listing in National Register nomination form. C = Contributing, NC = non-contributing, blank = not evaluated.

AddressStatusResource Name and MIHP (if any)
 CAlumnae Hall
 CAlumnae House
 CJ.H. Apple Resource and Technology Center
 CBrodbeck Music Hall
 CCarson Cottage
 CCoblentz Hall
 CCoffman Chapel
 CCollege House
 CFrench House/Martz Hall
 CGambrill Gymnasium
 CGerman House
 CHodson Outdoor Theater
 CHodson Science Center
 CHonors House
 CMeyran Hall
 COnica Prall Child Development Laboratory
 CPastore Facilities/Shop
 CThe Pergola
 CPresident's House
Rosemont AvenueCQuadrangle
 CShriner Hall
 CR. Paul Smith Hall
 CSpanish House
 CSports Medicine Center
 CStrawn Cottage
 CTennis Courts
 CThomas Athletic Field
 CThomas Gateway
 CWellness Center
W. Seventh StreetCF-3-58 -- Williams Observatory, Hood College
 NCWhitaker Campus Center
 NCTatem Arts Center
 NCRaudy Cabin
 NCRosenstock Hal
 NCHuntsinger Aquatic Center
 NCMarx Center
 NCCoblentz Memorial Hall
 NCBeneficial Hodson Library/Technology Center


Return to the National Register Search page