Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Michael O. Bourne, 04/1970
Bohemia Farm
Inventory No.: CE-32
Other Name(s): Bohemia, Milligan Hall
Date Listed: 4/11/1973
Location: 4920 Augustine Herman Highway (MD 213) , Earleville, Cecil County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: mid 18th century
Description: The land facade (south) of Bohemia Farm is five bays wide, with a central pavilion having a door, two steps above ground level, and a semicircular architrave over the second-story center window. Both the door and center window are flanked by narrow windows suggesting the Palladian manner. The second story center window breaks into the pediment; and an oeil-de-boeuf window with four keystones and molded trim is located in the center of the pediment. The two wall areas flanking the central pavilion have two windows at each floor level. The facade is laid in all-header bond above a chamfered water table. A four-course belt extends across the facade, connected at the far ends to plain, pilaster-like strips at each corner, extending from watertable to cornice. The lintels of the first story and those in the central pavilion second story have flat arches with double, brick, superimposed keystones. The parts of the lintels flanking the unusual keystones have a light coat of scored, white stucco. Two large brick chimneys pierce the roof where the hipped sides meet a central ridge. A simple, molded, box cornice extends across each side. Bohemia's water facade (north) presents a different appearance, with the wider central pavilion, accommodating three center windows, leaving only one window to each side beside the pavilion. This facade is laid in Flemish bond with uniform pattern glazed headers, and there are segmental arches above all the windows and the door, except the center window, at the second-story level, which is similar to the one on the south facade. The tiers of panes in each window on the north side are four "lights" wide, while a tier of each window on the south is three "lights" wide; consequently, a pronounced horizontal effect is achieved. Similar to other Georgian-style buildings, the windows on the second story are one tier of panes less in height than those on the ground floor. On the east side of the house is a frame, 19th century gambrel-roof wing which was remodeled in the 1930s. On the west side are the remnants of a curved wall, possibly the passage to a former dependency. Significance: Bohemia House is reputed to be the most fully developed Georgian-style house on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The elaborate decorative plasterwork of the Rococo style and the full "Chinese Chippendale" staircase are important to the evolution of Georgian-style homes in Maryland. Bohemia is important historically as the "part-time" home of its former owner, Louis McLane, a prominent political influence as a Cabinet member during the administration of President Andrew Jackson. McLane was the second president of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company from 1837 to 1847, and president of the Morris Canal and Banking Company of New York.

 

Return to the National Register Search page