Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: S. Jacobs, 04/1995
Thomas J. Calloway House
Inventory No.: PG:70-33
Date Listed: 3/13/2005
Location: 9949 Elm Street , Lanham, Prince Georges County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1910
Architect/Builder: Architect: Isaiah T. Hatton (attributed)
Related Multiple Property Record: African-American Historic Resources of Prince George's County, MD
Description: The Thomas J. Calloway House, constructed in 1910, stands on the south side of Elm Street adjacent to Crescent Avenue in the traditionally African American Lincoln neighborhood in Lanham. The quiet, wooded neighborhood is made up of houses dating from the early 20th century to the present. The Thomas J. Calloway House occupies a 0.3-acre triangular lot with mature maple trees. The house is a 2 1/2-story, 3-bay wood frame Foursquare residence with a poured concrete foundation, aluminum siding over wood weatherboard, and an asphalt-shingle hipped roof with a boxed cornice. A hip-roofed dormer projects from the northeast slope of the roof. A brick chimney that was rebuilt during the 1970s rises from the southwest slope of the roof. The main entry is located in the off-center middle bay of the front (northeast) elevation. The entry consists of a half-glass door with a plain surround. The 6/1 and 1/1 wood windows are a mix of original and replacement sash. The windows have plain surrounds. A porch wraps the northeast and southeast elevations of the house. The porch has concrete piers, concrete steps with wooden rails, a wood floor, Tuscan columns with a plain rail, a recent ceiling of plywood panels, and a hipped roof. The southeast elevation also has a bay window. A one-story enclosed porch with a shed roof stretches across the southwest (rear) elevation. The porch has three sections: an original enclosed vestibule on the east; an originally open, recently closed section in the center; and a recently constructed enclosed section on the west. The interior of the Thomas J. Calloway House has the four-room plan typical of this type. Most of the original interior finishes were stripped in the 1970s when the property was rented. However, pocket doors remain between the southwest and northwest rooms and the southwest and southeast additions. An original mantel was found in the attic. The house is located on a lot adjacent to the former interurban streetcar stop and crescent-shaped park that served as the gateway to the community. The house was intentionally angled on its lot to face the park and streetcar stop. Although the streetcar tracks have been removed, the house remains highly visible, and the neighborhood retains the quiet, suburban setting and feeling its designers intended. The house itself retains its original plan and is still in use as a residence. Significance: The Thomas J. Calloway House is significant for its association with the African American experience of the suburban settlement in Prince George's County (1896-1964), and the education of African Americans in Prince George's County (1896-1954). These themes are set forth in the Multiple Property Documentation for African American Historic Resources in Prince George's County, Maryland. Thomas Junius Calloway was a prominent lawyer, educator, civil servant, and African American activist. Calloway's house in Lincoln, constructed in 1910, is a landmark in the African American community he founded. He was vice president and general manager of the Lincoln Land Improvement Company and served as first principal of the Lincoln School. Calloway died in 1930.


Return to the National Register Search page