Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: L.W. Sack, 03/2004
Kitterman-Buckey Farm
Inventory No.: F-8-155
Other Name(s): Wyatt-Elmaleh Farm
Date Listed: 12/28/2005
Location: 12529 Molasses Road , Union Bridge, Frederick County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1752, 1934
Description: The Kitterman-Buckey Farm is the remnant of the farm that was established by Christopher Kitteman in 1752, and which remained in the Root/Buckey family from 1790 to 1919. The complex encompasses six buildings: fieldstone house, fieldstone spring house, log cabin/smokehouse, bank barn, silo, wagon shed, and stable. Facing east, the mid-18th century fieldstone house is two stories in height, and is composed of two halves, probably 40 to 50 years apart, and united under a low-sloping slate roof with three chimneys. The portion of the house south of the main entrance measures 17' long x 22' wide and is one room deep and three bays long. The portion of the house north of the front entrance measures 28' long x 22' wide, and is also one room deep and three bays long. The hewn beams in the basement are evidence that the south half of the house was built first. This part of the basement includes the original kitchen, with a large cooking fireplace. Interior features suggest the house underwent a substantial remodeling sometime in the middle years of the 19th century. The stonework on both portions of the house are closely matched, indicating that the north portion was also built by a local German mason. The house has a low-pitched slate roof, with two end-wall chimneys and a central chimney. Dentils decorate the cornice on both the front and rear. At one time, the house may have had three doors on the front facade. The window to the north of the present front door was converted from a doorway. The door at the north end has been sealed off from the inside and is non-functional. This door led to a plain room with a fireplace and with no connection to the rest of the first floor. A staircase in the northeast corner still leads to the second story. Upstairs, another staircase in the northeast corner leads to the attic. Like the lower room, the upper room was not connected by an interior door to the rest of the house. These rooms measure approximately 5x5' wide by 17' long. The walls separating the rooms from the rest of the house were removed in the 1940s; the exterior door probably was sealed at the same time. The plan of the first floor originally consisted of a central hall flanked by a room, two bays wide, on either side. In the 1940s, a wall was added to the southern room, dividing off a portion for a kitchen. The remainder became a dining room. In the 1940s or 1950s non-supporting wood beams were installed in the ceilings of both rooms. Fireplaces remain at both ends of the house on the first floor. Floors throughout the house are pine. All wood trim is painted. Upstairs, the doors are all plank doors, the remaining early interior door downstairs is six-paneled. The floorboards indicate that a staircase may have been located in the southwest corner. The grander staircase that exists in this portion of the house probably was added later. A shed-roofed wood-frame addition was made to the south side of the house, probably in the 19th century. Further additions were made in the 1950s and 1980s. Also on the property are a springhouse and cabin/smokehouse dating to c. 1752, a machine shed, c. 1930s horse barn, and c. 1850 bank barn and 1934 silo. Significance: The Kitterman-Buckey Farm is historically significant for its association with the agricultural development of Frederick County. European settlement of the area began in the 1720s; by the first half of the 19th century the county's grain-based agricultural economy had begun to mature. Grain and flour production increased rapidly, as improvements in transportation allowed farmers to reach ready markets in fast-growing urban centers. Most of the county's farmsteads were established or expanded during this period. The Kitterman-Buckey Farm illustrates the persistence of moderate-scale agricultural operations from the mid 18th century through the mid 20th. The property derives additional significance for its association with the 18th century German settlement of Frederick County and the cultural influences of the German settlement group. The property was acquired in 1752 by German immigrant Christopher Kitterman, who held it some 40 years. In 1794 he sold his land to Daniel Root, another early settler in Frederick County, who seems to be of German descent. The property remained in the Root family, and later in the Buckey family when a Root daughter married a Buckey, until 1919. The embanked siting of the house and barn, a common characteristic of the vernacular architecture of Central Maryland during the period, is ascribed to Germanic antecedents. The Kitterman-Buckey Farm is also significant for its architecture, as a representative example of a variety of farmstead that typified rural Frederick County during the period. It comprises a full complement of domestic and agricultural buildings whose forms and functions reflect the evolution of the small farm over nearly two centuries. In addition, the property retains significant features of its historic landscape, including a domestic yard surrounding the house, and associated fields, pastures, woodlot, and an orchard; fence lines and fence row vegetation survive to define historic field delineations. Although some of the outbuildings are in deteriorated condition, the complex retains sufficient integrity to convey its historical associations.

 

Return to the National Register Search page