Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Paul Baker Touart, 01/2005
Oxford Historic District
Inventory No.: T-1158
Date Listed: 12/28/2005
Location: Oxford, Talbot County
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: 1688-1950
Resources: 276 (204 contributing, 72 non-contributing)
Description: The town of Oxford occupies a peninsula bounded by the Tred Avon River and Town Creek. The streets of the town are laid out in a rough grid plan oriented to the principal north/south avenue, Morris Street, which dead ends at the Strand, an east/west road that borders the Tred Avon River. Along the Strand, at the north end of Morris Street, is the landing for the Oxford/Bellevue ferry, established in 1683, that connects Oxford with the small town of Bellevue on Ferry Neck. The district is primarily defined by streetscapes of frame dwellings erected between 1875 and 1910 with varying degrees of decorative detailing. There are no structures remaining in Oxford from the 17th or early 18th centuries. A few buildings dating from the mid to late 18th and early 19th centuries are located along North Morris Street near its intersection with the Strand. Most of these are or originally were 1 1/2 stories in height. Some of the few mid-19th century structures in town are Greek or Gothic-Revival in style. Following the arrival of the railroad in 1871, Oxford experienced a building boom that lasted through the turn of the 20th century. Over 90% of the buildings that define the historic district date from the period from 1870 through 1910. Most of these incorporate Victorian details, although some have Second-Empire features. The early 20th century brought a few Colonial Revival and American Foursquare dwellings, as well as modifications to existing Victorian houses, such as the addition of Tuscan columns to older porches. Little construction occurred during the Great Depression, apart from the replacement of the town office in 1932 following a fire which destroyed a row of frame commercial buildings on North Morris Street. Following this period, resident citizens or visitors maintained the housing stock built during the boom years, or in other cases, rented them to the remaining work force employed in the shipyards and dwindling number of seafood and/or fruit packers. Ever since the 19th century, and especially during the second quarter of the 20th century, Oxford has been seen as a pleasant place to buy a summer house or retire in a quieter, less harried village atmosphere. Significance: The Oxford Historic District is historically significant for its association with the development of the Eastern Shore region of Maryland. Oxford is one of Maryland's earliest towns, with a fledgling village established on the edge of the Tred Avon River by the mid to late 1660s. During its first hundred years, Oxford developed into a principal port for the region, second only to Annapolis prior to the rise of Baltimore and Chestertown during the mid 18th century. While there are no surviving resources representative of the town's first century, the Tred Avon ferry has been in operation with various vessels since it was established by the Talbot County court in 1683. The district derives additional significance for its architecture, as an exceptionally cohesive and well-preserved collection of domestic, commercial, and ecclesiastical properties primarily dating from the town's principal period of growth, i. e., the last quarter of the 19th century through the World War I era. Integral to the district are a number of significant properties that predate that period, representing its late-18th and early-to-mid-19th century history. The town's early-18th century grid plan, documented by a survey completed in 1707, remains essentially intact. The period of significance, c. 1668-1950, encompasses the period between the founding of the town and the mid 20th century, by which time the district had substantially achieved its present form and appearance. Although Oxford's position as a viable port and location for trade declined steadily after the Revolutionary war, the town resurfaced as an important site for shipbuilding and oyster and fruit processing during the mid to late 19th century, particularly with steamboat transportation and a railroad line across Oxford Neck by 1871. With newfound wealth derived from the water and the land, Oxford experienced economic prosperity and growth that were evident tangibly in a rebuilding of its housing stock and expansion of its town limits. Oxford developed into one of the three most populous and commercially active towns in Talbot County by the last decades of the 19th century. Unusual to the town as well is its historical association with the Maryland Military and Naval Academy, a preparatory school for young men, during the mid to late 19th century, which is represented by the architecturally prominent Academy House. Oxford' s housing stock is representative of the priorities and livelihoods of town residents for the past 230 years. The town's oldest structures, the Barnaby house and a portion of the Robert Morris Inn, reflect third quarter of the 18th century frame building traditions and finishes. While only a handful of structures date to the early to mid 19th century, the town's collection of late-19th century frame dwellings is especially extensive and reflects largely middle class aspirations in building facades characterized by modest levels of architectural elaboration. Also significant architecturally are the town's three historic churches.

District Resources (276) (204 contributing, 72 non-contributing)

From associated listing in National Register nomination form. C = Contributing, NC = non-contributing, blank = not evaluated.

AddressStatusResource Name and MIHP (if any)
309 N. Morris StreetCT-248 -- 1780 House (Grapevine House)
307 N. Morris StreetC 
308 N. Morris StreetCNoah J. Foxwell House
306 N. Morris StreetC 
305 N. Morris StreetC 
302 N. Morris StreetC 
300 N. Morris StreetC 
301 N. Morris StreetC 
220 N. Morris StreetC 
213 N. Morris StreetC 
218 N. Morris StreetCT-960 -- Annie Harrison House (Old Point Comfort)
216 N. Morris StreetC 
207 N. Morris Street (MD 333)CT-953 -- Samuel W. Bratt house
214 N. Morris StreetC 
212 N. Morris StreetCT-228 -- Barnaby House
210 N. Morris Street (MD 333)CT-962 -- Parsons-Newnam House
208 N. Morris Street (MD 333)CT-961 -- Thomas W. Blades House (Harrington House)
206 N. Morris Street (MD 333)CT-965 -- Charles E. Leonard House
204 N. Morris StreetC 
205 N. Morris StreetCT-238 -- Bratt Mansion (Academy House)
N. Morris Street and The StrandCT-249 -- Robert Morris Inn (Sinclair House, Riverview House)
319 N. Morris StreetCStewart House
315 N. Morris StreetCT-964 -- Stewart-Benson House
313 N. Morris StreetC 
311 N. Morris Street (MD 333)CT-963 -- Rosaline S. Benson House
200 N. Morris Street (MD 333)CT-956 -- Harrison -Haddaway House
110 N. Morris StreetC 
108 N. Morris StreetC 
106 N. Morris StreetC 
105 N. Morris StreetC 
104 N. Morris StreetC 
102 N. Morris StreetC 
101 N. Morris StreetCOxford United Methodist Church
100 N. Morris StreetCOxford Community Services building
101 S. Morris StreetCOxford Museum
West Side of Morris StreetCTown Park on the Tred Avon
102 S. Morris StreetCTred Avon Yacht Sales
103-107 S. Morris StreetCOxford Mews Commercial Block
113 S. Morris StreetC 
201 S. Morris StreetCOxford Market
202 S. Morris Street (MD 333)CT-955 -- The Oxford Bank
200 S. Morris StreetC 
204 S. Morris StreetC 
206 S. Morris StreetC 
207 S. Morris Street (MD 333)CT-954 -- William M. Bergman House
208 S. Morris StreetC 
209 S. Morris StreetCSarah T. Anthony House
210 S. Morris StreetC 
211 S. Morris StreetC 
212 S. Morris StreetC 
213 S. Morris StreetC 
214 S. Morris StreetCStewart-Cooper House
215 S. Morris StreetC 
216 S. Morris StreetC 
217 S. Morris StreetCT-321 -- Samuel F. Nichols House (Second Empire House)
218 S. Morris StreetC 
219 S. Morris StreetC 
220 S. Morris StreetCAmelia Ireland House
221 S. Morris StreetCJames L. Nichols House
222 S. Morris StreetC 
223 S. Morris StreetCMargaret Delahay House
224 S. Morris StreetCT-869 -- Thomas-Elliott House
corner of S. Morris Street and South Street CT-325 -- St. Pauls Wesleyan Church (Pilgrim Holiness Church)
226 S. Morris StreetCT-870 -- Dashields-Delahay House
228 S. Morris StreetC 
300 S. Morris StreetCTown Creek Foundation Office
301 S. Morris StreetCMary L. Sibley House
302 S. Morris Street (MD 333)CT-958 -- Alexander Matthews House
303 S. Morris StreetC 
304 S. Morris StreetC 
305 S. Morris StreetC 
306 S. Morris StreetC 
307 S. Morris StreetC 
308-310 S. Morris StreetC 
309 S. Morris StreetC 
312 S. Morris StreetC 
313 S. Morris StreetC 
317 S. Morris StreetCT-547 -- Applegarth's Marine Yard
400 S. Morris StreetC 
402 S. Morris StreetC 
404 S. Morris StreetC 
406 S. Morris StreetC 
408 S. Morris StreetC 
410 S. Morris StreetC 
Caroline StreetCT-250 -- Church of the Holy Trinity
502 S. Morris StreetC 
202 N. Morris Street (MD 333)CT-959 -- Parsons House
101 W. StrandC 
103 W. StrandCT-317 -- Sandaway
102 E. StrandC 
104 E. StrandC 
110 E. StrandC 
112 E. StrandC 
200 E. StrandC 
202 E. StrandC 
204 E. StrandC 
206 E. StrandC 
208 E. StrandC 
300 E. StrandC 
302 E. StrandC 
304 E. StrandC 
306 E. StrandC 
400 E. StrandC 
402 E. StrandC 
420 E. StrandC 
500-504 E. StrandCMears Yacht Haven
501 E. StrandC 
505 E. StrandC 
107 Mill StreetC 
100 Norton StreetC 
101 Norton StreetC 
110 Norton StreetC 
100 Stewart StreetC 
101 Stewart StreetC 
102 Stewart StreetC 
103 Stewart StreetC 
105 Stewart StreetC 
106 Stewart StreetC 
512 E. StrandC 
108 Norton StreetC 
109 Stewart StreetC 
99 Tilghman StreetC 
102 Tilghman StreetC 
104-106 Tilghman StreetC 
107 Tilghman StreetC 
201 Tilghman StreetCAfrican-American Odd Fellows Lodge Hall
204 Tilghman StreetC 
301 Tilghman StreetC 
Off Tilghman Street facing Town Creek CT-287 -- Byeberry
208 Tilghman StreetC 
209 Tilghman StreetC 
314 Tilghman StreetC 
200 Factory StreetC 
202 Market StreetC 
204 Market StreetC 
Banks Street & Market Street CT-481 -- Water Methodist Episcopal Church
203 Market StreetCWater Methodist Episcopal Church Parsonage
206 Market StreetC 
208 Market StreetC 
210 Market StreetC 
102 Factory StreetC 
202 Bank StreetCThe Hinckley Company, Yacht Services
203 Bank StreetC 
300 Market StreetC 
302 Market StreetC 
304 Market StreetCBillingslea House
100 High StreetC 
101 High StreetC 
102 High StreetC 
103 High StreetC 
104 High StreetC 
107 High StreetC 
109 High StreetC 
102 Truax StreetC 
101 Market StreetC 
109 Jefferson StreetC 
105 South StreetC 
109 South StreetC 
202 South StreetC 
203 South StreetC 
206 South StreetC 
207 South StreetC 
208 South StreetC 
209 South StreetC 
210 South StreetC 
211 South StreetC 
212 South StreetC 
213 South StreetC 
214 South StreetC 
226 South StreetC 
228 South StreetC 
100 Benoni StreetC 
101 Benoni StreetC 
102 Benoni StreetC 
103 Benoni StreetC 
104 Benoni StreetC 
105 Benoni StreetC 
106 Benoni StreetC 
107 Benoni StreetC 
216 South StreetCT-447 -- Bateman House
218 South StreetC 
220 South StreetCT-45 -- Trippe House (Beale House)
221 South StreetCMaplehurst
109 Benoni StreetC 
107 Tred AvonC 
200 Tred AvonC 
201 Tred AvonC 
202 Tred AvonC 
204 Tred AvonC 
205 Tred AvonC 
206 Tred AvonC 
207 Tred AvonC 
208 Tred AvonC 
209 Tred AvonC 
210 Tred AvonC 
211 Tred AvonC 
212 Tred AvonC 
100 West StreetCThread Avon Cottage
101 Tred AvonC 
102 Tred AvonC 
103 Tred AvonC 
104 Tred AvonCFortenbaugh House
100 Caroline StreetC 
102 Caroline StreetC 
105 Tred AvonNC 
106 Tred AvonNC 
102 West StreetNC 
100 Tred AvonNC 
224 South StreetNC 
217 South StreetNC 
219 South StreetNC 
108 Benoni StreetNC 
215 South StreetNC 
204 South StreetNC 
201 South StreetNC 
100 South StreetNC 
201 Market StreetNC 
100 Jefferson StreetNC 
103 Jefferson StreetNC 
105 Jefferson StreetNC 
303 Market StreetNCOxford Arms Condominiums
305 Market StreetNC 
307 Market StreetNC 
205 Bank StreetNC 
104 Factory StreetNC 
212 Market StreetNC 
204 Factory StreetNC 
208 Factory StreetNC 
210 Factory StreetNC 
201 Wilson StreetNC 
Wilson StreetNC 
200 Bank StreetNC 
201 Bank StreetNC 
318 Tilghman StreetNC 
211 Tilghman StreetNC 
305 Tilghman StreetNC 
307 Tilghman StreetNC 
308 Tilghman StreetNC 
309 Tilghman StreetNC 
205 Tilghman StreetNC 
206 Tilghman StreetNC 
109 Tilghman StreetNC 
110 Tilghman StreetNC 
111 Tilghman StreetNC 
200-202 Tilghman StreetNC 
100 Tilghman StreetNC 
109 Norton StreetNC 
514 E. StrandNC 
516 E. StrandNC 
103 Mill StreetNC 
107 Stewart StreetNC 
108 Stewart StreetNC 
102 Norton StreetNC 
103 Norton StreetNC 
104 Norton StreetNC 
105 Norton StreetNC 
107 Norton StreetNC 
506 E. StrandNC 
507 E. StrandNC 
508 E. StrandNC 
510 E. StrandNC 
404-410 and 412-418 E. StrandNCOxford Condominiums
106 E. StrandNC 
108 E. StrandNC 
100 E. StrandNC 
201 N. Morris StreetNC 
W. StrandNC 
99 W. StrandNC 
100 W. StrandNCOxford Yacht Club
315 S. Morris StreetNC 
106 S. Morris StreetNC 
111 S. Morris StreetNC 
103 N. Morris StreetNC 
310 N. Morris StreetNCT-133 -- A.B. Highley House
203 N. Morris StreetNC 
209 N. Morris StreetNC 

 

Return to the National Register Search page