Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Kenneth M. Short, 12/2003
Winemiller Family Farm
Inventory No.: CARR-1684
Date Listed: 8/30/2006
Location: 1909 Francis Scott Highway (MD 194), Taneytown, Carroll County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1851, c. 1865
Description: The Winemiller Family Farm consists of a large c. 1865 two-story brick house, a frame bank barn, and several outbuildings. The farmstead is set on a gently rolling site 3 miles southwest of Taneytown. The house is set close to the road and faces northwest (north) towards it. A two-story rear wing is attached to the east end of the south fa├žade. On the north elevation, laid in six- and seven-course common bond, the principal entrance is in the center of the three bays. This door has four panels and a transom bar with an applied, jig-sawn, lozenge-pattern decoration. The transom also has diamond muntins, with one light over the door and one over each sidelight. The transom over the door is glazed with four pieces of glass butted against each other to fill the space. The first-floor windows, one to either side, hold 6/6 sash. All three bays are sheltered by a hip-roofed porch with Doric columns and brackets with acorn drops. The second story has five new 6/6 sash. There is a corbeled brick cornice consisting of one row of bricks with dentils above it. The rear wing is flush with the east gable end of the main block. The southern end of this facade is covered by an enclosed porch with aluminum siding and an aluminum door. The first and second stories each have five new 6/6 sash windows. The attic gable of the main block have two new four-light windows. There are plain board eaves and fascia, and the wing has two corbeled courses of brick. There is an interior brick chimney on the northeast, southeast, and southwest gable ends, and also where the main block and the wing are joined. The first story of the south elevation of the rear wing is covered by an enclosed porch with six large one-light windows and aluminum siding. The second story has no openings and the attic gable has two new four-light windows. The south fa├žade of the main block has a four-panel door with paneled soffit and jambs in the center bay of the first story. There is one new 6/6 sash window set between the two end bays and the second story also has a 6/6 sash window above the first-story window, and in the center bay has a 6/6 sash that is set lower on the wall. The cornice has two corbeled courses of brick. The west elevation of the main block has two new 6/6 sash windows on each floor and two new four-light windows in the attic gable. The west elevation of the rear wing is four bays long. From north to south, the first story has a new 6/6 sash window, a four-panel door with a four-light transom, a narrow new 1/1 sash window, and a 6/6 sash window in a projecting bay on the south end. The first-story porch has been completely rebuilt and projects forward with a modern deck and railing, and new posts to support the porch above. The second story of the wing has a 6/6 sash in the west bay, but it is not above the first-story window. There is a door like the first story, but it is set south of the first-story door. The south-center bay projects forward and has aluminum siding and a new 6/6 sash window. This is later infill on the porch. The south bay also projects forward in the same plane as the first story and has a new 6/6 sash window. On the interior, the house has a center passage, single-pile plan with two rooms in the rear wing. The house retains most of its original detailing and woodwork. About 30 feet east of the house is a one-story frame shed, two bays by one bay with weatherboard siding. About 75 feet southeast of the house is another one-story frame shed, two bays by one bay, with German siding. A large tractor shed lies about 75 feet east of the house, and a bank barn about 150 feet east of the house. The barn was built in two stages, beginning c. 1851. Both small sheds and the tractor shed date to the late 19th to early 20th century. Significance: The Winemiller Family Farm is significant for its architecture as a representative example of a type of family farm complex that characterized rural agricultural Carroll County from c. 1851 through the early 20th century, illustrating the persistence of moderate-scale farming operations during this period. The complex comprises a brick farmhouse constructed c. 1865, a frame bank barn built in two stages beginning c. 1851, and a full complement of outbuildings reflecting the property's continuous agricultural function. The house and barn may be the work of the original owner, John Winemiller, a carpenter and builder whose only documented work is a nearby church. The period of significance for the resource, c. 1851-1946, begins with the construction of the earliest surviving structure on the property, and ends when the farm passed out of the direct ownership of the Winemiller family. The property remains in agricultural use.


Return to the National Register Search page