Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Kenneth M. Short, 10/2005
Inventory No.: HO-570
Other Name(s): Samuel F. Cobb House
Date Listed: 12/12/2006
Location: 2327 Daniels Road , Ellicott City, Howard County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1865, 1901
Architect/Builder: Architect: D. S. Hopkins
Description: Linnwood is a 2 1/2-story four-bay by four-bay frame structure with vinyl siding, a rubble stone foundation, and a hip roof with asphalt shingles. The roof is flat in the center, with a hip-roofed belvedere with paired 1/1 sash windows on each side, with fake shutters. The large 1901 Queen Anne-influenced house faces southwest towards Daniels Road. The southwest (south) elevation, on the first story, has a 2/2 sash window in the west bay. There is a pair of three-panel doors, with bolection moldings and small panels in the center, in the west-center bay. There are sidelights with two stained-glass lights over two bolection-molded panels, and a transom with four stained glass lights. There is nothing in the south-center bay, and the south bay has a three-sided bay window with a 2/2 sash window flanked by a 1/1 on each side. There is a one-story porch that wraps around the east side, supported by square posts with rounded-off corners and a torus above an ogee creating a rudimentary capital. There are jig-sawn brackets, a plain frieze, and a box cornice. The balusters are also jig-sawn. The second story has three 2/2 sash windows and a bay window that matches the first story. There is a gable-roofed wall dormer with paired 1/1 sash that spans 2 1/2 bays, and a turret roof on the south-bay window. On the east elevation, the first story has 2/2 sash windows in the south bay. There is a four-panel door in the south-center bay with three-light sidelights and a three-light transom with frosted panes. The porch stops short of the northern bay. The second story has 2/2 sash. There is a hip-roofed dormer with a pair of 1/1 sash windows over the south-center bay, and a paneled interior brick chimney to the south of it. The north elevation has a 2/2 sash window in the east and east-center bays of the first story. The west-center bay has a four-panel door with two-light sidelights and a three-light transom. The west bay has a 2/2 sash window. There is a two-story porch in the center, with four posts and details that match the front porch. The second story has no opening in the east bay, a 2/2 sash window in the east-center bay, a four-panel door with a two-light transom in the west-center bay, set to the west of the door below, and a 2/2 sash window in the west bay. There are two paneled-brick interior chimneys set even within each end of the porch. The west elevation stonework under the bay window is coursed and mostly dressed, in contrast to the rest of the foundation. The first story has three 2/2 sash windows to the north and a three-sided bay window in the south bay that matches the southwest bay. The second story has no opening in the north bay, a 2/2 sash window in each of the center bays, and the bay window in the south bay matches the first story. There is a hip-roofed dormer in the center with paired 1/1 sash windows and a turret roof on the bay window. On the interior, the center-passage, double-pile plan house has a cross-passage in the center, to the east, and a small room to the west, between the front and rear rooms. The house retains much of its original woodwork and hardware. Six domestic outbuildings are arrayed behind the house, including a springhouse/greenhouse, shop building/cold storage and annex, garage, smokehouse, privy, and a modern garage. A stone gateway with iron gates is located at the road, flanking the driveway. Significance: Linnwood is significant for its architecture, in that it embodies the distinctive characteristics of its type and period. Cogently illustrating the ascendancy of national architectural trends over local vernacular building traditions, the house's Late Victorian form and appearance resulted from a thorough remodeling in 1901 of a preexisting farmhouse, according to designs by architect D. S. Hopkins, who published a series of pattern books in the late 19th century. The result of these large-scale alterations is reminiscent of designs Hopkins published in his pattern books. The property retains a complement of farm outbuildings representative of a small-scale family farmstead of the period. Substantial documentary records, including farm accounts and family papers, survive to inform our understanding of the resource. The period of significance, c. 1865-c. 1920, spans the period from the original construction of the house through the early 20th century, during which time the various elements of the farmstead substantially achieved their present form and appearance.


Return to the National Register Search page