Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: C. B. Thompson,
Cherry Grove
Inventory No.: HO-1
Date Listed: 6/21/2007
Location: 2937 Jennings Chapel Road, Woodbine, Howard County
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1798, after 1906, pre-1924
Description: Cherry Grove consists of a farm containing a southeast-facing four-section frame "telescope" house. The oldest section, c. 1798, is the west-center portion, a 1 1/2-story, three-bay with gambrel roof that is mirrored at to the east by a similar section dating from after 1906. The center sections are flanked by two-story gable-roof additions, the western section in place by 1924. The section on the east was constructed post-1976. The west section is a two-story, two-bay-by-one-bay structure with a wood-shingled gable roof and an interior chimney on the west gable end. It is narrower than the two center section, and has 9/6 sash windows in the west bay and a six-panel door with four-light transom in the east. The random-width weatherboards vary between 4 1/2 and 10", and the corner boards have a beaded edge. To the east of this c. 1924 section is the original c. 1798 section, a three-bay 1 1/2-story building with a wood-shingled gambrel roof, slightly lower than that of the west section. There is an interior brick chimney on the west end. The south elevation siding has been replaced, but some original weatherboarding survives on the west end, with a beaded corner board. There is a center door with six panels and a four-light transom flanked by 6/6 sash windows on either side. The upper story has two shed-roofed dormers with 6/6 sash windows in the end bays. The first story of these two western sections of the building are sheltered on the south facade by a shed-roofed porch with Doric columns. The section to the east of this, constructed after 1906, is also a 1 1/2-story gambrel-roofed frame structure, slightly lower than its 18th-century neighbor. There is an interior brick chimney on its east end. The west bay of the south elevation has a four-panel door and four-light transom. To the east of this are two 6/6 sash windows. The second story contains shed-roofed dormers with 6/6 sash windows, identical to those in the adjoining section, but spaced farther apart. The post-1976 section on the east end of the building is a two-story frame structure with an exterior brick chimney on the east end and an enclosed porch with French doors covering the first-story of the south facade. The windows are 6/6 sash. On the north elevation, the westernmost section has a single 6/6 window on each story that matches those on the south elevation. The adjoining c. 1798 section has a six-panel door with a four-light transom in the center of the first story, with a 6/6 sash window to either side. The first story of this section of the building is sheltered by a shed-roofed porch supported by four Doric columns. The upper story matches the south elevation. The next section to the east has two 6/6 sash windows on the first story that match the southeast elevation and two identical dormers. The basement is beneath the two center sections, with the stairs coming down from the passage. The interior of the oldest section of the house has mid-19th century woodwork and mantels. The complex includes a c. 1798 log ground barn, an 1860-1890 frame wagon shed with corn crib, an early-20th century frame water tower, frame ground barn with cantilevered forebay, frame shed, frame dairy barn, concrete silo, concrete block dairy, and several frame shelter sheds. The buildings are located on a generally flat site surrounded by gently rolling terrain and are set well back from the road along a gravel drive that winds through the center of the farm. Significance: Cherry Grove is architecturally significant in that it embodies the distinctive characteristics of regional architecture and farming practices in the late 18th and 19th centuries. Cherry Grove demonstrates the evolution of these forms after the Civil War as the result of the end of slavery and the effects of increasing urbanization. In addition to the four-section frame "telescope" house, the farm contains a noteworthy complex of agricultural outbuildings, including a log ground barn, frame water tower, and frame wagon shed with corn crib.


Return to the National Register Search page