Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: KMS, 01/2006
Graystone Lodge
Inventory No.: HA-1259
Other Name(s): Hoskin-Guidice House
Date Listed: 8/30/2007
Location: 1118 Baltimore Pike (BUS 1), Bel Air, Harford County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1781, c. 1840, c. 1929
Description: Graystone Lodge is a c. 1781 stone building with a mid-19th century frame addition, sitting close to Bel Air Road on a site that slopes steeply down to a small stream on the north side of the building. Graystone Lodge is a 2-story, six bay by one bay rubble stone structure with quoining at the corners and at some of the openings. The stone appears to primarily be a local granite, and most of it has been repointed with a Portland cement mortar. The roof is of standing seam metal with an interior chimney on both east and west gable ends. Windows are typically 8-light casements with a lintel consisting of a keystone between two large stones. The west-west-center bay has a segmentally arched opening with stone voussoirs, containing a six-panel door with 12-light sidelights over single panels, and paneled jambs, but the soffit is missing. There is plywood infill above the door. The east-east-center bay also has a segmentally arched opening with stone voussoirs, but is narrower and shorter than the west-west-center bay. The door matches the former, but the top of the door and the top panels are segmentally arched. The sidelights have eight lights over one panel, and the top lights are also segmentally arched. The doorway also has paneled jambs, but the wood soffit survives on this doorway, with three panels which match the jambs. There is a brick patio in front of each doorway. The second story is only five bays, with the openings set between the bays of the first story. The center bay has segmentally arched stone voussoirs that are wider than the window opening. There is a wood box cornice. The east elevation of the stone section has no openings on the first or second stories. There was a window opening in the attic gable, which is now filled in with stone, with the brick chimney above constructed with 20th-century pressed brick. There is a porch on the first story that wraps around the north elevation, which is five bays wide. The east-center bay holds a six-panel door with paneled soffit and jambs and a large keystone between two large lintel stones, like the windows on the south elevation. The center bay contains a window opening which may have been cut in later. A one-story porch covers the east three bays. The second story has no opening in the east bay, a 6/6 sash in the three center bays, and a pair of 6/6 sash in the west bay. The west elevation of the stone section is parged on the first story, south of the frame addition. The attic gable has a window opening south of the chimney that has been filled with stone. The chimney is old brick that has been repointed. To the west is a two-story frame addition, two bays by one bay with a standing seam metal roof and both interior and exterior brick chimneys on the west end. On the south elevation of the wing, the first story west bay has a six-panel door which appears to date to the 20th century. There are sidelights with four lights over one flat board. The east bay has a 6/6 sash window. There is a one-story porch with a brick deck, the eastern end of which has been removed. The second story has a pair of one-light casements flanking two fixed one-light sash. The west elevation has no openings on the first or second floors, but a basement bulkhead entrance. Both chimneys have 20th-century brick, and the exterior chimney brick appears to post-date World War II. The north elevation has aluminum siding and a wood box cornice. The first story has a pair of one-light casements flanking a single fixed light. The second story has T1-11 siding with windows matching those on the second story south elevation of this addition. The east elevation has a pair of four-light casements with infill above. The second story has no opening. On the interior, the first story of the stone section is completely open, with the floor in the west half raised one step above the east half. The flooring has all been replaced. The east and west walls have exposed stone fireplaces. That on the east has a ston Significance: Graystone Lodge is architecturally significant as a representative example of a pre-Civil War coachbuilder's shop, which embodies the distinctive characteristics of high-quality Quaker craftsmanship in its stone structure. The property derives additional significance for its association with the development of transportation, both through its 19th century function as a coachbuilder's shop strategically located to serve travelers on the Baltimore and Harford Turnpike, and through its conversion in the 20th century to a motor lodge and restaurant catering to the growing automobile traffic on American roads. The earliest portion of the building has been dated, through dendrochronology, to c. 1781. The property was sold in 1946, effectively ending its longstanding historical function as a travel-related service establishment.

 

Return to the National Register Search page