Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Jennifer Falkinburg, 08/23/2003
Inventory No.: M: 33-4
Other Name(s): Lazenby Home, Girl's Gift
Date Listed: 4/11/1973
Location: 410 Randolph Road , Silver Spring, Montgomery County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1760-1820
Description: Milimar is a 2 1/2-story brick house with a one-story rear addition and a single flush chimney at either gable end. The front or west facade is Georgian in style, five bays wide with a central entrance. There are muted but unmistakable touches of decoration, especially in the three rows of brick offset in an ornamental pattern in the dentil cornice, and the flat brick arches above the 6/6 sash windows, as well as the quarter-round windows on either side of the chimney at attic level in the south gable, which have an elaborate pattern of muntins. The front facade is of Flemish bond brick, while the other walls were laid in common bond. The interior is one room deep with a center hall on the first floor flanked by two rooms. The second floor contains three bedrooms and a bath off a narrow (27") hall. Significant interior features include the center hall stairway, which turns a 90 degree angle at mid-height with "pie-steps" rather than a landing; it has an old handrail which includes a five-foot section with two natural "knee" curves in it, and hand-turned newel posts fastened to the rails with wooden pegs. The fireplaces in the master bedroom and dining room are faced with tiles made from local soapstone with an unusual design. The interior doors are mainly of handmade panels, fastened with wooden pegs. The first-floor framing is partly of sawn timber and partly of log. The original second-floor flooring is of random-width hard yellow pine. In the cellar is a large fireplace, once used for cooking, which had been bricked up with its hearth furniture still inside. Also on the property are an elevated brick terrace across the front and south ends of the house, an L-shaped double row of boxwood along its edge, an old fieldstone gate structure, and a double line of tall spruces shielding the property from the road. Significance: Milimar is believed to have been built by Henry Lazenby II, a descendant of a family which came to Maryland at the very beginning of the 18th century. In 1760, Lazenby bought a 100-acre tract called "Girl's Gift" near the plantation of his father, and either built or began to build the house in the same year. Milimar is one of the few extant 18th century buildings in urban Montgomery County. Architecturally, it represents a style and way of life which was present in the early history of the county, but which has been rapidly disappearing. In addition, the boxwood hedges at Milimar are important surviving examples are early landscape design.


Return to the National Register Search page