Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Jim Meyer, ca. 2014
Quarter Place
Inventory No.: AA-276
Other Name(s): Moreland House; Woodbourne Farm
Date Listed: 12/18/2009
Location: 216 Marlboro Road (MD 408), Lothian, Anne Arundel County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1860
Architect/Builder: Builder: William H. Peake, Jr.
Description: Constructed in the 1860s by house carpenter William H. Peake, Jr. (1837-1920), Quarter Place is a 2 1/2-story, center-hall, frame, I-house form with details and elements derived from the mid-19th century rural Gothic Revival. Three bays wide with a central entrance and central cross-gable, the house faces south towards the drive leading from Marlboro Road. Consisting of a main block and a two-story rear wing, the house rests on a brick basement and is topped with a cross-gabled roof covered in cedar shingles. Porches extend along the front (south) and rear (north) facades of the house; a small porch along the east side of the house was infilled in the 1960s. A one-story semi-octagonal bay projects from the east side of the main block; a c. 1940s rectangular bay from the west. The main block of the center hall house is one room deep. The house, which was originally L-shaped, now has a roughly rectangular footprint because of additions at the rear of the house. The main block of the house has interior chimneys to either side of the central cross gable; there is an exterior chimney at what was the top of the rear wing at the north end of the earlier kitchen. An exterior brick stack for an oil furnace has been added at the northwest corner of the main block. Window openings are rectilinear with the exception of arched windows that occupy the side and cross gables at the attic level. For the most part, the house has 6/6 wood sash windows. There are three 6/3 windows within the arched openings in the dormers; a jib window opens onto the former side porch (now infilled) from the parlor on the east. The entry door is set below a three-light transom and flanked by paneled sidelights. The front of the house is centered by a bay with a cross gable that projects two feet from the plane of the main block. The front gable has a deeply overhanging eave embellished with jig-sawn bargeboards featuring stylized scrollwork and drop pendants. The fenestration pattern on the second floor of the projecting bay consists of a central window flanked by two sidelights within a single opening. The opening is topped by a bracketed wood cornice, creating a simplified, rectilinear version of a Palladian window. Vertical boards frame the house at either end of the façade. The hipped front porch is supported by brick posts and features paired chamfered wood posts. Cross-bracing and jig-sawn side brackets enhance the picturesque character of these vertical elements. Bed molding trims the juncture between the underside of the porch roof and the house. The central portion of the porch projects above the front steps. The house still retains its original louvered shutters. The pivot shutters that conceal the sidelights of the tripartite second-floor window and the bifold shutters on the parlor bay are particularly noteworthy. The house is in excellent condition, having been restored by the owner in the 1980s. Alterations to the secondary facades of the house over the years have established its present roughly square footprint. During the 1940s, a one-story rectangular bay was added to the dining room. The former side porch within the ell, which once extended north of the main block, was infilled in the 1960s. In 1990, Wanamaker Raphael Architects adapted the cottage for the owner and his family of seven. The east wall of the original kitchen was removed and the kitchen expanded. A one-story addition was added to the rear. This north addition, which has a porch, is topped by a hipped roof below a second-floor deck. In plan, the main block of the house consists of one room to either side of a center hall. On the first floor, the center hall is comprise of a roughly square vestibule separated from the stair hall beyond by an arched opening with paired louvered doors, similar to Peake’s documented work at Ashland, near Upper Marlboro. Within the vestibule, shallow closets are located on either side of the entrance; single doors connect the vestibule to the d Significance: Quarter Place is significant for its architectural character, as a representative example of the work of locally prominent house builder, William Peake, Jr., and as an artful example of a mid-19th century rural Gothic Revival cottage likely inspired by architectural pattern books. Character-defining features of Peake’s work include its proportions, scrollwork trim, idiosyncratic Palladian window, and paired chamfered columns with cross-bracing and jig-sawn side brackets supporting the porch. Scrollwork bargeboards highlight the central cross gable. Built around 1860 for Augustus Hall and his wife Mary Cheston Hall, Quarter Place is part of the short-lived burst of building activity in southern Anne Arundel County in the mid 19th century. The house retains a sideboard and bookcase reputed to be associated with Augustus and Mary Cheston Hall. The building has also been known as Moreland after the 20th-century occupants of the property, and as Woodbourne Farm, a name that appears to have been first used when the property was converted to institutional use in the 1940s.


Return to the National Register Search page