Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: MHT Files, n.d.
Long Island Farm
Inventory No.: BA-102
Date Listed: 8/30/2010
Location: 2200 Cromwell Bridge Road (MD 567), Parkville, Baltimore County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1764, c. 1810, c. 1865
Description: Long Island Farm includes approximately 6.8 acres of land containing an 18th century main house, a pre-1860 barn, a milking parlor, a c. 1870s dairy/workshop and chicken house/woodshed, a necessary house, and a smokehouse. Long Island is a large, five-part house that evolved over two centuries based on the family needs and sizes dictated by the Risteau/Jenifer genealogy. The original part of the house is thought to have been built between 1744 and 1770; it numbers among the two dozen survivors of the 1,500 homes recorded in the 1798 tax survey in Baltimore County. The east wing is the oldest, likely dating from the 18th century. The west wing dates from 1967. The five-bay stucco-covered stone main block evolved in two phases. A telltale seam to the left of the front door shows that this segment was once three bays wide, but was extended two more bays westward, resulting in a balanced design with a center hall floor plan. The stucco covering the exterior is smooth, and scored in an ashlar pattern. Windows on the main block are of 6/6 double-hung sash. A four-light transom tops the center door. Rooms flanking the hall were decorated with matching Federal elements in wood: door frames, mantels, and chair rails. The house was extended at the rear, likely around 1870, with a bright and spacious frame and clapboard dining room with large windows on three sides. The stairway to the second floor is narrow, but elegantly curved. While the front of the house presents a unified façade, the rear shows the additions quite readily. There are three gabled dormers in front. The main block is flanked by two interior end chimneys. A full-width front porch with a flat roof runs across the main façade. The porch posts are square, decorated with scroll-sawn brackets. There is no porch railing, but the entire lawn near the porch is enclosed by a substantial semicircular stone wall. The original house structure was thought to be a one or 1 ½-story stone structure with a detached stone kitchen to the east. The family oral tradition indicates that this part of the house was built sometime between 1744 and 1764. It was simply one large room with a front entrance and a side door leading to the detached kitchen building, plus two rear windows facing north. The fireplace was on the east wall. Today, these structures, including the original stone walls, are incorporated into what is known as the living room and the remodeled 1960s kitchen. The two windows were enlarged and now serve as doorways into the Victorian dining room. The side door has been sealed off and is used as a bookcase. There is also a basement beneath the one-room original structure. The second modification is thought to have occurred in the early 19th century with the addition of a stone 2 ½-story attached wing to the west. A fireplace was built on the west wall. When the addition was built, the original structure was raised to 2 ½ stories to match the new structure. A stairway was added to the west side of the original structure which led to the new second floor and attic. A little later in the 19th century, a second floor was added to the kitchen building and this whole structure was joined to the main house by a two-story addition which filled in the hyphen between the detached kitchen and the main house. In the 1880s, the house was expanded again, with the addition of the 2 ½-story Victorian frame dining room. Significance: Long Island Farm is historically significant as a farm and industrial center representative of the road agricultural and industrial changes that transformed Baltimore County in the 19th century. The property is also architecturally significant as a representative example of a type of farmstead that characterized the region during the late 18th century through the 1900s, comprising a Federal-period main house and an array of domestic and agricultural outbuildings with an overall high degree of integrity. It derives additional historical significance for an association with the lime-burning industry, which contributed to the agricultural development of the region in the 19th century. Few other properties in Baltimore County of this size and complexity have been owned continuously by one family over such a long period of time. Because the property was held continuously by the Risteau-Jenifer family for over two centuries, many of the original structures have been preserved. The property was purchased by Isaac Risteau and the house built in 1764. By the end of the 19th century, the property had ceased operation as a lime producer and concentrated on dairy farming.

 

Return to the National Register Search page