Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: MHT Files, n.d.
Miller's House
Inventory No.: T-70
Date Listed: 12/17/2010
Location: Longwoods Road (MD 662), Wye Mills, Talbot County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1750
Description: The Miller's House at Wye Mills Village is a 2 ½-story, three-bay, hall-parlor, single-pile, brick building constructed in the mid 18th century south of the Wye Mill. The walls are laid in Flemish bond on all sides but the west gable end, where a one-story addition once stood. The precise date of construction is not established, but the house was likely built for Edward Lloyd III, master of Wye House and the owner of the Wye Mill, as a dwelling for the miller. The first deed which references the building dates to December 1770, in a transfer of family lands between the two sons of Edward Lloyd III. Set on a raised basement, the first floor level is defined by a molded brick watertable on all four sides. Windows were 12/12 sash on the first floor and 12/8 on the second, but have been replaced with 6/6 sash in the mid-late 20th century. The first floor of each façade was once sheltered by a hip-roofed porch supported by chamfered posts with decorative sawnwork brackets and balustered railings. These were added in the 19th century by the Hopkins family, and the porch on the north façade has collapsed. Each slope of the roof holds a pair of gabled dormers with 6/6 sash windows. Interior chimneys stand at either gable end. On the interior, the central stairwell rises from the south doorway and is currently fitted with early-20th century balusters and railings, which are recent installations. Prior to the 19th century, the stair to the second floor was in the northeast corner. In the east room, the Federal mantel has reeded pilasters, reeded upper columns above these, and a reeded center field under the mantel shelf. The two doors to this room are late-19th century four-paneled doors. The west room has a fully paneled chimney with a large paneled central field surrounded by a narrow field on the side and underneath. A mantel shelf was later added above the fireplace. A chairrail runs around the room. The central field of the chimney piece has a round flue hole for a later-period wood stove. Flanking the fireplace are doorways which formerly led to the addition on the west gable end. There are no other buildings on the property, but the Hopkins family cemetery is located towards the west end of the parcel, set below the upper slope of the property, and accessed by a set of steps from the higher ground. The cemetery is surrounded by a wrought-iron fence, and contains Hopkins family markers from the 19th and 20th centuries. Significance: The Miller's House at Wye Mills village is historically significant for its association with the transformation of the agricultural base of Talbot County from tobacco to grain farming. The house derives architectural significance as an example of mid-18th century vernacular domestic architecture in the Eastern Shore region of Maryland. The quality of its design and construction represent the high economic status accorded to the profession of miller in the region during the period; the house was provided as a perquisite to attract and retain a skilled miller to operate the adjacent Wye Mill. The property is associated with the prominent Lloyd family who had the house and mill built and who developed the village, and with the Hopkins family who maintained the house, mill, and village during the 19th century.

 

Return to the National Register Search page