Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Michael O. Bourne, 10/1997
Tudor Hall
Inventory No.: SM-10
Other Name(s): America Felix Secundus
Date Listed: 4/26/1973
Location: 41680 Tudor Place, Leonardtown, Saint Marys County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: before 1798, c. 1830
Description: Tudor Hall is a large 190' x 30', rectangular, two story plus attic, brick building which has undergone extensive change. The form of the extant structure is largely the result of a 19th century enlargement and a 20th century remodeling of an 18th century structure. In 1798, Tudor Hall consisted of a 1 1/2 story wooden house (46' x 22') with two brick wings (30' x 32'), one at each (east and west) end. Since that time, the one-story brick wings have been raised to two stories and the wider center section was replaced with a two-story brick central block. These alterations can easily be seen on the south facade where the end sections of the wall at the first story are laid in Flemish bond, whereas the entire center section and second floors of the ends are laid in American bond (four rows of stretchers and one row of headers). Tudor Hall has a hip roof with a centrally placed square balustrade or "widow's walk." Four chimneys jut out of the roof marking the juncture of the ends and the central block. One of the outstanding features of the south facade is the one-story recessed loggia which covers a central entrance with transom and sidelights, flanked by two 6/6 sash windows to either side. Centrally placed, the loggia is defined by four columns which support a wooden lintel. A brick arch spans the loggia. A 19th century owner covered Tudor Hall with yellow stucco into which 8" x 14" inch rectangles were incised. In 1950, Gertrude Sawyer, a Washington, D. C. architect, remodeled Tudor Hall and removed the stucco. The north and south facades are five bays in length, while the east and west facades are two bays each. Windows on the south, east, and west facades hold 6/6 sash with louvered shutters, while those on the north facade are a mixture of 6/6 and 12/12. The east bay of the north facade holds a door with 8-light transom on the east side and a 12/12 window on the west. The window on the west end of this facade has been replaced by a door. First floor openings on both north and south facades have splayed jack arches. Interior finishes are of the Greek Revival period. Significance: Tudor Hall is an important 18th century house in St. Mary's County, Maryland. It is one of the oldest buildings in Leonardtown, which was created by the Maryland Legislature in 1720. Tudor Hall is an example of mid-Georgian architecture in Leonardtown. Its almost unique form is similar to that of Bachelor's Hope, also in St. Mary’s County. Tudor Hall was built by the Barnes family, either Abraham or his son, Richard, both of whom were active in the American Revolution. The name Tudor Hall was given to the house by a 19th century owner, Henry G.S. Key, a cousin of Francis Scott Key.


Return to the National Register Search page