Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: John McGrain, Undated Photo
Stone Hall
Inventory No.: BA-89
Other Name(s): Nicholson's Manor
Date Listed: 7/25/1973
Location: Cuba Road, Cockeysville, Baltimore County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1783
Description: Stone Hall, a 248-acre estate, was originally part of a 4200 acre tract called Nicholson’s Manor. Stone Hall is located on Cuba Road, one half mile north of Shawan Road in Baltimore County. The house was built in four sections; the initial stage consisted of a 1 ½-story, 1 bay wide fieldstone structure built before 1783. A north and south wing were added between 1783 and 1798. The main block at the north end is a 2 ½-story gable roofed fieldstone structure. It is four bays wide and one room deep. The windows are of 9/9 sash and have wood lintels. The third bay from the north end is the main entrance, covered by a classically inspired portico. The second story bay above which lights the flanking stairway landing is positioned slightly lower than the other three windows and there are three irregularly spaced and foliated windows. There is a single chimney enclosed within each end wall. The east façade of the building is the same as the western elevation, except for the entrance door which is headed by an elliptical fanlight. It is believed that this was the original entrance because of its design and because the interior staircase faces it. A modillioned cornice continues around the four sides. The centrally positioned portico with its closed denticulated pediment over the main entrance of the west principal façade is supported by four square wooden columns with two matching pilasters framing the stucco area, framing the door. A 1 ½-story fieldstone addition at the south end was initially used as the kitchen, but now serves as a hyphen connecting the main block. In the 1930 addition, the roof ridge runs opposite that of the main block. An enclosed chimney is at the east end. Three domestic dependencies stand in close proximity to the main house. Included in this voucher is a barn, carriage house, and a blacksmith shop. Significance: The local historical significance of Stone Hall can be seen through its owners. The initial tract was patented by William Nicholson of Kent County, Maryland, in 1719. In 1754, the land was sold at public auction in equal 1050 acre plots to Roger Boyce, Corbin Lee, Brian Philpot, and Thinsey Johns. The Philpots sold a 360-acre parcel of land, upon which Stone Hall now stands, in 1775 to Thomas Gist, Jr. Gist was a colonel in the Baltimore Militia during the Revolutionary War. His brother, Mordecai, one of the organizers of the Baltimore Independent Cadets (Fifth, Maryland), was able to aid George Washington during the Revolutionary War. In the later part of the 19th century, the land was bought by William C. Gent. The land passed through several owners until Garnet and Salina Hulings bought the property in 1930. Stone Hall is an example of the Federal style. It is one of the few remaining manor houses of its type in the Worthington Valley of Maryland.


Return to the National Register Search page