Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Michael O. Bourne, Undated Photo
Mount Harmon
Inventory No.: CE-26
Date Listed: 6/5/1974
Location: 600 Grove Neck Road (MD 282) , Earleville, Cecil County
Category: Site
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1788
Description: Mt. Harmon is an 18th century brick mansion built by Sidney George around 1788. The house was restored in the 1960s under the supervision of Albert Kruse, A.I.A., the architect of the State House restoration in New Castle, Delaware. The house measures 50' x 32', and the majority of the walls of the double pile structure are original. In the late 1920s a frame wing was built on the south gable. The five bay main facade, facing west, has a central door with a scrolled pediment and pineapple keystone supported by Ionic pilasters. Windows are 12/12 sash with splayed brick jack arches with stone keystones. A one-bay-wide pediment with a bullseye window and modillion raking cornice is centered on the hip roof, and is flanked by two gable-roofed dormers with round-arched windows and pilasters. A single dormer of the same style appears between paired interior chimneys on both the north and south ends of the house. The east facade of the roof holds a single dormer between two pediments with bullseye windows. The top of the hip roof features a widow's walk with a Chinese Chippendale balustrade. A dentiled and modillioned cornice surrounds the roof on all sides. The east facade of the house is three bays wide, the two outer bays holding a 12/12 window with the same arches as on the front, and the central bay holds a tall round-arched window above a recessed door with pedimented surround. The north gable end of the building holds a single 12/12 sash window in the second story. The south gable end is covered by a two-story frame wing covered with beaded clapboard. This wing holds 6/6 sash windows. The interior of the house has been entirely reconstructed with a center hall containing a Chinese Chippendale stair leading to the third floor. The parlor on the north and the dining room on the south are fully paneled. Near the house stands a small one-story brick structure, formerly a kitchen for the farm. There are also stables and residences for the caretakers of the estate. West of the house stands the 18' x 24' hewn frame prize house mentioned in Sidney George Fisher's diary in the 1830s. Significance: Mount Harmon is an important site because it was the home of several locally important citizens of lower Cecil County during the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. It is also important because the walls of the present mansion are those built during the 18th century, and are an object lesson in the study of Georgian architecture in Maryland. On the property is also an early prize house, used prior to 1830 when tobacco was the chief crop of lower Cecil County.

 

Return to the National Register Search page