Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Michael O. Bourne, 07/1973
The Anchorage
Inventory No.: T-52
Date Listed: 7/30/1974
Location: Unionville Road (MD 370), Easton, Talbot County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1810; 1830s
Description: The Anchorage is a five part house with a large center section and small hyphens and wings. The main house is seven bays wide and 2 1/2 stories high. The projecting clapboard portico is three bays wide and is covered with a two story Greek Revival porch supported by four Doric columns. In the center is a double door flanked by sidelights with muntins forming three diamond patterns. The entire unit is surmounted by a large rectangular fanlight with delicate muntins on each side of the entrance is a 6/6 sash window with two hinged panels beneath each. Above the entrance, on the second floor, is a three-part window. The main house has two bays on each side of the portico, with a window in each bay. Those on the first story have 6/9 sash while the ones on the second story have 4/4 sash and all have louvered shutters. The cornice has some rather nice late Federal gouge work. On the gable roof between the two windows on each side of the portico is a pedimented dormer with pilasters framing the elaborate round-arched window. On each side of the portico is an enclosed one-story porch. On these porches the Flemish Bond brick is painted while on the remainder of this section it is stuccoed. Covering the roof are wood shingles. There is a large chimney at each end of the main house and a third one at the rear of the house near the southwest end. This section, except for the portico, was probably built in the early 19th century, perhaps around 1810, and may incorporate an earlier brick house described in the 1798 Federal Tax Assessment. On each end of the main house is a one-story frame wing connected to the house by a flat-roofed, stuccoed hyphen. Built in the Greek Revival style the wings, as well as the portico on the main house, were probably added during the 1830s. There are two large 6/6 sash windows on the pedimented ends overlooking the river. At the rear of each wing is an inside-end chimney. The brick chimney is exposed below the pediment in the northeast wing. On the side of this same wing is a 6/6 light window. The side of the southwest wing, on the other hand, has a Palladian window. At the rear of the main block is a two story stuccoed wing housing the dining room. On the northeast side of this wing is the modern kitchen addition. The opposite side has a one-story enclosed porch. West of the house is a log smokehouse and a windmill. The smokehouse has board-and-batten siding with clapboards on the gables. Significance: The Anchorage on the Miles River in Talbot County is unusual in that it underwent a complete metamorphosis after about the first century of its existence. The house first constructed was a small brick one occupied by a succession of people who were in no way greatly different from their neighbors. This state of affairs changed radically, however, after the Lloyds of Wye House, a very prominent family in early Eastern Shore and Maryland history, bought the property in 1831. The Lloyds enlarged the house and one of Governor Edward Lloyd's daughters and her husband went to live in it, thus ranking the once insignificant house among the hospitable country seats of Talbot County.

 

Return to the National Register Search page