Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: MHT File Photo, 06/1966
All Hallows' Church
Inventory No.: AA-150
Date Listed: 5/15/1969
Location: Brick Church Road and Solomons Island Road (MD 2), Hardesty, Anne Arundel County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1710
Description: All Hallows' Church is a low, rectangular Flemish bond brick structure with a hipped roof. There is a small vestry room on the west side, and the main entrance on the south is sheltered by an enclosed brick porch with a hip roof and arched brick pillars forming a T in relation to the rest of the building. Set in pairs, the windows are framed by brick, segmental arches. Effectively 22/20 lights, the sash windows are round-topped. Large brick quoins enhance the corners of the building. The shed-roofed addition on the west end of the building holds a door and an exterior corbeled chimney on the south facade. The interior was gutted by fire in 1727. It was repaired at that time, "modernized" in 1825, and again in 1885. In 1940 fire badly damaged the interior again. Subsequent research permitted a 1940 reconstruction to become a c. 1710 restoration and included precedent for the present 18th century, reconstructed, barrel-arched ceiling, brick floor, white wainscoted walls, clear glass windows, and bench pews with doors. The ancient cemetery, shaded by a grove of oak trees, surrounds the church. The bell in the rustic tower bears the date 1727. Significance: All Hallows' Church is significant for its 18th century architecture, and for its contribution to Anne Arundel County's religious history. The records of All Hallows' Parish, Davidsonville, go back to 1682, indicating it existed prior to the Act of Establishment (1692) passed by the General Assembly of Maryland laying off the Province into 30 Anglican parishes. Five of these were organized in Anne Arundel County, spaced approximately 10 miles apart. The Diocese of Maryland Journal lists All Hallows' Church as a standing building in 1690 two years before the organization of the parish in 1692. The present building, second on the site, dates to c. 1710. All architectural features, with the exception of the interior, which is a frank but careful restoration, are irreplaceably unique and reflect the integral part that this parish and others like it played in the early history of Maryland.


Return to the National Register Search page