Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Preservation Howard County, 01/2001
Inventory No.: HO-21
Date Listed: 10/18/1974
Location: 2335 Waverly Mansion Drive, Marriottsville, Howard County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1800-1820
Description: Waverly is a 2 1/2-story stone house, covered with stucco. The main block, facing west, is five bays in length by two in width. The fenestration of the east and west facades is symmetrically arranged, but the size of the building is made more apparent by the wide spacing of the proportionately small windows. These are 9/9 sash on the first floor and 6/6 sash on the second. Each facade has a central entrance, the east side having double doors with 8 panes each, sheltered by a one-story, one-bay, gable-roofed porch of probable c. 1900 date. The west entrance, somewhat smaller, is covered by a one-story, one-bay hip-roofed porch. At the north gable end are two 4/4 sash windows on the first floor, two 4/2 sash on the second, and small 4-light windows in the attic gable. The south gable end is similarly treated above the first floor, which is mostly covered by a hyphen which connects a two-story stone wing to the main house. The hyphen is two bays wide on the east side, with the door positioned lower than an adjacent window. The ground level drops slightly in this area, hence the wing is on a lower level than the main block. The hyphen, containing a small stair and hall, marks the point where the levels change. The east end of the two-story wing has two 12/8 windows at the first floor, one at the second positioned toward the southeast corner, and one small attic window beneath the gable peak. The south elevation is four bays in width at both floor levels, with 12/8 sash. The two windows in the inner bays and two doors in the outer bays of the first floor level are sheltered by a one-story c. 1900 porch on square posts. Centered on the roof ridge is a large stuccoed chimney. A flush chimney rises from each gable end of the main block. Their great size physically contributes to the visual massiveness of the house. Most of the exterior detail, including the entrance doors, window sash, simple boxed cornices, and stucco, appears to date from the second or third quarter of the 19th century. Many original details, including the window and door heads and what appears to have been a molded watertable, are masked by the stucco. Also on the property are a small 1 1/2-story stone dwelling, a supposed combination storehouse and jail, a 2-story frame and stone corn crib, and the ruins of a log slave quarter. About 100 yards southeast of the house is the shattered tombstone of John Eager Howard, who died in 1838. Although the stone is still on the property, the body was removed to Frederick, Maryland, many years ago. Significance: Waverly is primarily significant for its association with General John Eager Howard, Governor of Maryland from 1788-1791. The property was one of many owned by General Howard, although it is not believed that he actually lived here. General Howard deeded the property to his son George Howard on his marriage in 1811 to Prudence Gough Ridgely of "Hampton" in Baltimore County. George Howard, who led an active political life, including serving as Governor of Maryland from 1831-1833, as well as that of gentleman farmer, is believed to have been the one most likely to have built the house. The estate under the ownership of Governor Howard evidently prospered for the size of his property increased measurably between 1820 and 1846, the year of his death. Following his death, the property was divided and sold.


Return to the National Register Search page