Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Orlando Ridout IV, 1968
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Inventory No.: CAR-6
Other Name(s): St. Johns Parish Church
Date Listed: 5/12/1975
Location: 22005 Church Street, Denton, Caroline County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1853
Description: St. Paul’s is a small board-and-batten Gothic Revival church, on a brick foundation, its steep roof covered with wood shingles. A small entrance porch is situated in the west bay of the north side. On the east and west sides of the porch are small lancet windows with leaded stained glass. The double door has three panels in each half, the top one being a pointed-arch panel. East of the entrance are two stained glass lancet windows in the nave with two smaller windows on the north side of the chancel. The west end has two stained glass lancet windows between which, centered in the gable, is an oval window with the larger axis on the vertical. A quatrefoil pattern is cut out of the barge boards on this end and at the east gable of the chancel. At the peak of the west gable is a belfry still holding the original bell. The south side of the nave has four lancet windows, two close together near the center and two near the east and west corners. Between the west window and the west corner is a tall, narrow red brick chimney with a brick, arched hood. Attached to the south side of the chancel is a shed-roofed vestry room. It has a Gothic-arched door with a small hood above it on the west side. To the right of the door is a lancet window divided horizontally into four lights. There are two identical windows on the south side. On the east end of the chancel is a large Gothic window, with tracery dividing it into three narrow lancets, dated 1857. There is a single lancet window on the east side of the vestry room. Significance: St. Paul’s Church is valuable as an example of the attractive and practical buildings that could be executed by local craftsmen from the published plans and drawings designed for the Ecclesiastical Society in England. This particular design is based upon a book of plans and sketches published in 1852 by Richard Upjohn. St. John’s Parish was formed in 1748 by an act of the Maryland Assembly. The first church was located in Queen Anne’s County, but in 1768 a new church was built on this site. Rev. William Goldsborough was assigned the parish in 1842 and under his leadership, there was a renewed interest in the parish. Between 1850 and 1853, the parish raised enough money to build the present church. It was not until a year after Rev. Goldsborough’s death, in 1858, that the church was consecrated.


Return to the National Register Search page